case lube?

plumeja

Just watched a video on diy case lube. seemed pretty cool, a bottle of heet and lanolin oil. that was it just need the right ratio. has anyone tried this out. I havent reloaded in a few years and am about to dust off the press, i like diy projects if they work. part two of my question is can you use 99% iso instead of heet because what i understand is that is ingredient in heat so why not just use the iso??
thanks

If I'm not mistaken, the old rcbs case lube was simply lanolin thinned with alcohol... I'm not sure the alcohol variety makes a difference as long as it stays in solution. Case lube is cheap though compared to dies; I'd but a bottle of rcbs and a pad and get rolling myself. If you want to experiment; I'd play with dies you don't really care about before you use your brew on good dies.

If I'm not mistaken, the old rcbs case lube was simply lanolin thinned with alcohol... I'm not sure the alcohol variety makes a difference as long as it stays in solution. Case lube is cheap though compared to dies; I'd but a bottle of rcbs and a pad and get rolling myself. If you want to experiment; I'd play with dies you don't really care about before you use your brew on good dies.

I agree, sometimes diy is just another way of shooting yourself in the foot. If you want something less messy than liquid lube there is spray but, I would use imperial sizing wax

+3 for Imperial, it only took 1 stuck case and a couple dented cases to finally take the advise of my gunsmith friend about a decade ago.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.