Case lenght trimmer

So would this Wilson be a good trimmer, it's the base model I would guess, I size my case necks a little tighter to obtain my accuracy so the cheap lee case length gauge cutter pilot doesn't fit and that's what I'm worried about with other pilot style cutters.

image.jpg

Buy once cry once. Going from cheap to cheaper might not be as good of a deal as you think.... I went LE Wilson and it's the best i could imagine.. I also bought a Forster and didn't like it at all.
Just curious as to what you didn't like about the Forster. I've been using one for years with the 3 in 1 cutters and it has always trimmed to +/- .001 of my desired trim length. I've never used a Wilson but if someone can explain how they are better I will sure buy one:)

It just seemed to not hold a case very well in the collet. The way the Wilson one holds a case is much sturdier and I like the micrometer seater on it with the locking screw.

I've used a LE Wilson since I inherited it in 1974, a bit slow but very accurate. I think you will be pleased with the results.

I have had great and consistent results with the Little Crow Gunworks trimmer. It's very fast if you have a bunch of brass to trim and I have found it to produce low variation in case length.
+2 on Little Crow. I just buy the inserts I need and use a 4 flute center cutting end mill in place of the supplied 2 flute. I spin mine in one of the shop lathes.

Thanks for everyone's opinions, I decided on the Wilson trimmer with the stand.

I have the same trimmer. I love it! Very accurate and precise every time. Don't forget you will need the shell holder for each cartridge you load for. They are about 11-13$ a piece.

I have the same trimmer. I love it! Very accurate and precise every time. Don't forget you will need the shell holder for each cartridge you load for. They are about 11-13$ a piece.
That's great to hear!, yup just loading for the 308 so far.

I run the Forster Original Case Trimmer. Admittedly, I ruined a few cases with it until I realized just how sensitive the adjustment/set screws are when seeking desired trim length. All good now though and seems to be pretty accurate/consistent.

Gonna toss my 2 cents in and say that I found the WFT ( Gunworks) not very consistent. You would think it would be a walk in the park and easy to use but every once in a while it's off by .005+. Gone back to my hand cranked Lyman.

Gonna toss my 2 cents in and say that I found the WFT ( Gunworks) not very consistent. You would think it would be a walk in the park and easy to use but every once in a while it's off by .005+. Gone back to my hand cranked Lyman.

When you use the WFT what you need to do is use a case of known (and correct length) and loosen the setscrews and bring the milling cutter up against the case mouth and then tighten the screws. I get a slight variance as well but usually not over 0.002 depending on how I push in the case to be trimmed. There is a bit of 'feel' involved but, at my age I don't like cranking a manual trimmer anymore.

I chuck my WFT in a 3 jaw chuck with the lathe spinning about 1000 rpm.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.