Cartridge Switch?

RAGGED EDGE

I need some logical input. In the gun closet is an almost new Savage LRH in .260 Rem. I bought the gun 10 years ago, thinking that the caliber would be easy to come up with cases for, push comes to shove. It is a very accurate rifle. Maybe a hundred rounds down-range. I have an urge to have it re-chambered to 6.5 PRC. My gunsmith has a once-used reamer. What are your thoughts?

Bolt face swap and probably magazine feedlips, maybe a follower as well. It's been probably 10 years since I swapped a savage rifle over, but parts weren't bad and usually someone has them on the shelf.

If pulling a bolt apart isn't something your excited about the smith could probably do it rather quickly.

Is it a hinge dbm or a removable magazine?

Bolt face swap and probably magazine feedlips, maybe a follower as well. It's been probably 10 years since I swapped a savage rifle over, but parts weren't bad and usually someone has them on the shelf.

If pulling a bolt apart isn't something your excited about the smith could probably do it rather quickly.

Is it a hinge dbm or a removable magazine.?
I swap faces and barrels regularly. Have 4 Savages. Hinge mag.

Then you're good to go I'm not seeing any internal mag boxes from the normal places but the last time I needed one Savage was really quick to ship me one for basically what Midway sold them for.

I need some logical input. In the gun closet is an almost new Savage LRH in .260 Rem. I bought the gun 10 years ago, thinking that the caliber would be easy to come up with cases for, push comes to shove. It is a very accurate rifle. Maybe a hundred rounds down-range. I have an urge to have it re-chambered to 6.5 PRC. My gunsmith has a once-used reamer. What are your thoughts?
If it already very accurate and only a hundred rounds down the tube why change it. There is plenty of .260 brass out there and you said you have a 280AI so you have a faster larger caliber already.
Hey what ever floats your boat. You have the money for another barrel or re-chamber and then buy new dies and Brass - GO FOR IT!
Personally I am a .260 person and will always have a few around. If we have a very accurate rifle we shoot it until it needs a new barrel. Don't stop a good thing.
Let us know what you end up doing.
Good Luck!

I love my Savage Predator in .260. I was thinking of putting a new barrel on it for another cartridge. A bird landed just behind a target I was about to shoot at 615 yards away. I fired and center puched it so I dediced I'd keep it. The .260 is excellent and I'm not sure you will gain a ton for your troubles, but it's your project.

Well in my experience and load development on a lot of 260 and 6.5 Prc, to be honest I don't really believe there is enough advantage with a PRC vs a 260 AI, the 260 is probably hands down one of the most efficient cartridges ever made. Now if you AI a 260 you are within 20 fps or less of a PRC with way less powder. Do I think the PRC is a good, yes but I wouldn't build one personally. It's a waste of powder vs a 260AI. But if you want speed for powder , I'd still take a 264 over the prc. Just my opinion. But if you load your own it will amaze you what a 260AI actually does in comparison to a PRC. 58 grains of powder vs 68. For almost the exact same speed. Just my opinion.

Last edited:
Well in my experience and load development on a lot of 260 and 6.5 Prc, to be honest I don't really believe there is enough advantage with a PRC vs a 260 AI, the 260 is probably hands down one of the most efficient cartridges ever made. Now if you AI a 260 you are within 20 fps or less of a PRC with way less powder. Do I think the PRC is a good, yes but I wouldn't build one personally. It's a waste of powder vs a 260AI. But if you want speed for powder , I'd still take a 264 over the prc. Just my opinion. But if you load your own it will amaze you what a 260AI actually does in comparison to a PRC. 58 grains of powder vs 78. For almost the exact same speed. Just my opinion.
While I agree that the 260AI is a great cartridge and no disrespect intended here. Lets not play fancy and loose with the numbers.
Generally the 260AI is running 48-50 grs of top powders and the 6.5 PRC is running 58-60. Yes more powder means more speed and less efficient. That is why the 6.5 Grendel is so popular, it is the easy button.