Switch to SAUM

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by 4xforfun, Dec 4, 2013.

1. 4xforfun

4xforfun Well-Known Member

If I rebarrel my lightweght carry gun, an OLD rem 700 7mm RM, to a 7mm SAUM, will I..

1) Be able to put 3 in the mag?

2) Have any feeding issues?

I don't have any brass to test with. Could I use WSM brass to test with?

Thanks,

Tod

2. CPGfan

CPGfan Well-Known Member

1. Depends on the rifle. Some will some won't. You may have to bed bottom metal out a touch to get three down.
    2. Most Defineatley!! You can fix it though. Couple of options. Go with detachable bottom metal or purchase a wyatts Cfe#13 center feed box and follower. You will have to bend the feed lips to get them set just right. I have always added a block to the back of the mag box to move the cartridges forward a bit.

You can use WSM brass to test with.

It takes a bit to get everything tweaked right but if you make small adjustments along the way, it's really not too bad. Hope this helps

3. HuntFarther

HuntFarther Well-Known Member

The wsm will not feed with the 7mm rm bolt. The head has to be opened up for the larger fat case of the wsm. I am not sure if this is being considered or if you want to know if the brass will push out of the magazine.

4. 4xforfun

4xforfun Well-Known Member

Nope..I knew that...I was just going to use tem to fill the mag well to see if I could get 3 of those fat puppies in there. I wasn't sure if they were close to the SAUM in size. I guess I could try some of my EDGE brass. They should be the same diameter as the SAUM bass, right?

I don't know why I wouldn't just leave it a 7mm Rem mag. Less trouble. I just thought I would step down a bit in recoil and blast, along with using a 24 or 22 inch tube.

5. liltank

liltank Well-Known Member

From my understanding of short mags and rum cases, is that they are the same diameter as the belt of belted magnums. I suggest putting the calipers on the belt and then measure the web on a WSM case. Maybe that will give you some indication.

6. TannerGun

TannerGun Well-Known Member

On a rifle with a 3.6" box, I see no reason to not leave it a 7mm Rem Mag. If you want a bit less recoil, just run 162s or 168s at 2900ish. That's still a formidable load and boots quite a bit less than the same bullet going 3050...

Tanner