Switch to SAUM

4xforfun

If I rebarrel my lightweght carry gun, an OLD rem 700 7mm RM, to a 7mm SAUM, will I..

1) Be able to put 3 in the mag?

2) Have any feeding issues?

I don't have any brass to test with. Could I use WSM brass to test with?

Thanks,

Tod

1. Depends on the rifle. Some will some won't. You may have to bed bottom metal out a touch to get three down.
2. Most Defineatley!! You can fix it though. Couple of options. Go with detachable bottom metal or purchase a wyatts Cfe#13 center feed box and follower. You will have to bend the feed lips to get them set just right. I have always added a block to the back of the mag box to move the cartridges forward a bit.

You can use WSM brass to test with.

It takes a bit to get everything tweaked right but if you make small adjustments along the way, it's really not too bad. Hope this helps

The wsm will not feed with the 7mm rm bolt. The head has to be opened up for the larger fat case of the wsm. I am not sure if this is being considered or if you want to know if the brass will push out of the magazine.

The wsm will not feed with the 7mm rm bolt. The head has to be opened up for the larger fat case of the wsm. I am not sure if this is being considered or if you want to know if the brass will push out of the magazine.

Nope..I knew that...I was just going to use tem to fill the mag well to see if I could get 3 of those fat puppies in there. I wasn't sure if they were close to the SAUM in size. I guess I could try some of my EDGE brass. They should be the same diameter as the SAUM bass, right?

I don't know why I wouldn't just leave it a 7mm Rem mag. Less trouble. I just thought I would step down a bit in recoil and blast, along with using a 24 or 22 inch tube.

From my understanding of short mags and rum cases, is that they are the same diameter as the belt of belted magnums. I suggest putting the calipers on the belt and then measure the web on a WSM case. Maybe that will give you some indication.

On a rifle with a 3.6" box, I see no reason to not leave it a 7mm Rem Mag. If you want a bit less recoil, just run 162s or 168s at 2900ish. That's still a formidable load and boots quite a bit less than the same bullet going 3050...

Tanner

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.