cartridge selection

LongshotKiwi

Hi everyone
I have acquired two new barrels, a 32" Palma contour Broughton 1-14 twist 30cal, and a 375cal 32" blank with a 1-18 twist,

My question is what cartridge would you choose? The 30cal I'm tossing up between 308 and 300 win mag, it's to go on a McMillan a-5 with a win mod 70 push feed action, will use for the odd target/f-class match and 700 yard hunting, and as for the 375 would be up to 1500yard hunting, have not chosen an action yet but want to stay away from the cheytac size, the only let down is the slow twist, but hey who would turn down a free barrel! Already have a 375h&h with another of the same barrel and it shoots 300gr very accurately,
What would you guys do??

Those are some slow twist rates.

According to Berger's website the 308 with 1 in 14 can only stabilize bullets 155 gr and lighter. The 30 BR or 308 comes to mind. I suppose you could make any chambering you desire, you are just limited to the lighter weight bullets.

I have never heard of a 1 in 18 twist for a 375 and jacketed bullets. Just looked on Broughton's website and they only offer a 1 in 12 twist.

You said "Already have a 375h&h with another of the same barrel and it shoots 300gr very accurately" Did you post the wrong twist by accident?

Unfortunately with that high of twist rate u are extremely limited in a long range rig. I dont even have a clue of what caliber to use with those twost rates.

I'm pretty sure that is a legit palma barrel. I think you're only allowed to shoot 155gr and lower.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts