Cartridge Selection 6.5CM, .308, .300WM

LRTactical338

I have been looking for a new mid-long range rifle for a couple of months now. I have narrowed a couple options down but I am having a difficult time selecting a cartridge size. I am a big fan of the TAC-308 and Tac-300 models with the G30 actions from McMillan, and pretty much everything from GA Precision. I have a 1,100yrd range that I shoot at on a regular basis. I thought I was set on the .300WM but after hearing about powder consumption, barrel life, recoil and brass being difficult to find, I'm not sure if it's the cartridge I want anymore. I would like a round that still has some punch out to 1,000 which is why I am skeptical of the .308 or 6.5CM. I have heard great things about both cartridges but I would like to hear from some people who have shot both or maybe all three. Realistically this will probably be shot at paper/steel targets 85% of the time but it would be nice to have something with some power if the need should arise. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

Have shot all three. Own a Creedmoor now. Punch at 1000 yards? Would have to be the 300WM. The others will get you to about 500 yards on elk size game at altitude and that's pushing it.

It is not a bad idea to own more than one rifle. It takes a lot of practice to shoot consistently at long range. Both don't have to be McMillan quality. There are lots of good factory target rifles in 6.5 Creedmoor. One that is all the rage right now is the Ruger Precision Rifle. It comes in 6.5 and 308. Check it out. Savage also has excellent rifles. Check out the Savage Long Range Precision in 6.5 Creedmoor. That is what I shoot most for practice. Then get that 300WM by McMillian or GAP for the punch. That's the route I would take.

Thank you for the response. I have a few other rifles including a .338LM. It is just so expensive to shoot the .338 on a regular basis so I was hoping a .300WM would be a happy medium. Do you prefer the 6.5CM over the .308? I have found great deals on both McMillan and GAP .300WM's which is really what I want but I feel like I may be better off with a smaller cartridge. I can only afford one rifle at the moment and I would really like to get a high quality one that I can shoot all day and have fun with without breaking my bank account and shoulder.

The 6.5 Creedmoor is popular for a reason. A 6.5 with a high BC 140 Gr. bullet just runs off and leaves a 308 after about 400 yards. The 6.5 has much less wind drift and drop at 1000 yards. It also has more retained energy, and less initial recoil. I see no reason to get a 308 for recreational target. I would only get a 308 if shooting in some competition that required it.

There was a real nice GAP in 6.5 Creedmoor that sold on there a few days ago.

The 6.5 Creedmoor is popular for a reason. A 6.5 with a high BC 140 Gr. bullet just runs off and leaves a 308 after about 400 yards. The 6.5 has much less wind drift and drop at 1000 yards. It also has more retained energy, and less initial recoil. I see no reason to get a 308 for recreational target. I would only get a 308 if shooting in some competition that required it.

There was a real nice GAP in 6.5 Creedmoor that sold on there a few days ago.

Shooting the .308 out to a grand is still fun and very attainable. I agree with you on the nice rifles out there that are not McMillian quality. For the OP, the Rem 700 SPS Tactical in 308 was an excellent shooter with a drop in Bell and Carlson M40 stock. It loved the 180 grain SMKs. I got it out to 750 yards with ease, but after that my scope was the limiting factor (1 inch tube, 1/8 MOA clicks :rolleyes: ). In short it was just a fun rifle to shoot! Check this out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbdURRY_KZc

I'd built a 308 and have it set up to run a Berger 215, it will out perform the 6.5 in the wind and have the punch needed for some hunting, I have no qualms about punching an elk at 800+ yards with my 308 and 215 Berger!

Great gun, but they murdered it w/ a 11.25" twist

I wouldn't go that far with it. I do agree the 10" twist would have been a more popular option for those who reload and prefer to use heavy bullets...But Remington builds the 5R rifles with the same 416R barrel blanks they use for the M24 rifles, they just turn them down to a Sendero/Varmint contour, instead of leaving them the heavier M24 contour.

Twist rates aside, mine stabilizes Berger 210 VLD's at 250' above sea level...It will put 5 of them into 1 ragged hole. So, I have no complaints about the 11.25" twist. :cool:

I wouldn't go that far with it. I do agree the 10" twist would have been a more popular option for those who reload and prefer to use heavy bullets...But Remington builds the 5R rifles with the same 416R barrel blanks they use for the M24 rifles, they just turn them down to a Sendero/Varmint contour, instead of leaving them the heavier M24 contour.

Twist rates aside, mine stabilizes Berger 210 VLD's at 250' above sea level...It will put 5 of them into 1 ragged hole. So, I have no complaints about the 11.25" twist. :cool:

I'm really surprised that twist stabilizes that bullet.

I was actually looking at the 7RM as well. I just haven't seen any up for sale. I am pretty set on a GAP or McMillan. There are so many good cartridges out there its really hard to narrow down exactly what I'm after.

I own a 7mm rem mag and with the 180 bergers @2890 fps it has no problem ringing steel out to 1200 yds. It definitely outperforms my 6.5 creedmoor.
The 7 mag has 1,194 ft-lbs @1000m while the 6.5 CM has carries only 675 ft-lbs.

The 7 Mag uses a little less powder than the .300 WM (about 10 grains) and I never had any problems getting brass. Maybe it´s an option you might consider. Barrel life is not superb, but it´s not that bad.

I'd built a 308 and have it set up to run a Berger 215, it will out perform the 6.5 in the wind and have the punch needed for some hunting, I have no qualms about punching an elk at 800+ yards with my 308 and 215 Berger!

The 215gr .30 cal will only carry more energy than the 140 6.5mm all the way down range, but the trajectory of the 6.5 is flatter and has less wind drift unless you´re launching your bullets around 2700 fps.
The wind drift for a 10 mph wind for the 140 berger @2878 fps is 76" @1000m
The wind drift for a 10 mph wind for the 215 berger @2500 fps (which i find very generous) is 88" @ 1000m

The energy for the 140 berger @2878 fps is 675 ft-lbs @1000m
The energy for the 215 berger @2500 fps is 868 ft-lbs @1000m

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.