Cartridge poll for curiosity

I have an honest question. Sorry to thread jack. A little back story before my question.
I have been interested in long range shooting for many years, but don't take the time to do it competitively. A few years back a friend of mine wanted to sell his 6.5 creedmoor. I bought it and heard that it was a decent long range shooter. Now long range to me is something out to 1000-1500 yards.
I restocked it, bought a nice scope, I reload for it and love to shoot it.
I keep seeing lots of folks that don't like it, or just plain hate it.
Now here is my question....why the hate for this particular cartridge?
I actually have no idea behind the reasoning. I have no experience with long range shooting, except I want to shoot up to a mile someday, and this was my cheapest option at the time to get a caliber that would get me there.
Just wondering, honestly not trying to open a can of worms.
That is a very good question (why the hate) I think it is a great round for long range comp and a short to medium range hunting round On most big game up to elk sized critters. Now I've open a can of worms. To answer your question directly I think it's the 308 Win lovers that hate the Creed

Entry level ELR competition
Now 6.5 CR (due to availability & recoil)
Up & coming 6ARC &or 6PRC
If you do not have places to shoot 500 yards & greater and want training, then 22LR (beware this is a rabbit hole & may not have an escape route)
Any time you get involved in reloading competition shooting and end up doing both it is a very deep no end at end of the hole and no room to make a u- turn to escape.! I 45 years into that deep *** hole

What would be your caliber choice for a long range entry level long range competition rifle?
308 Winchester
6.5 Creedmoor
6.5 PRC
7mm PRC
7mm SAUM
Or some other chambering.

What is your definition of "long range" and what type of competition?

I use the old NRA defs of LR targets in 800-1,000 yards, but I also use a modified 1/4 mile version, 1-440yds SR, 441-880yds MR, 881-1320yds LR, and > 1,320yds ELR.

We used the 308 for a long time in Palma, 800, 900, 1,000yds, so it does work, but the 6.5CM is also a good choice for availability, cheaper to load, plentiful brass, SRP available, good BC's, etc, etc. But again, depends on your needs.

key word, entry level, my future daughter in law 5.3, 115 pounds likes the 6.5 and is able to group 3/4 or better moa. I have started loading for it and she is being consistent in her groups. Doing her part in eradicating the pigs off the farm.

since you said entry level COMPETITION rifle I vote 6.5 cm of what you have listed. Competition rifle means high round count, which means barrel life and efficiency are paramount (outside of accuracy). The needsmoor will buck wind better than the 308, and your components will be cheaper than those other options, plus your barrel will last longer. You will also have way more factory options available to you! You can't beat if for "entry level". This rifle will give you a personal education, from which you can derive the flavor of it's eventual replacement.

Recent Posts