Cart or Capstan recommendation

My horses are dead and I don't plan on buying anymore. Just what I need - to get tossed from a horse with an already bad shoulder! Take a poll next time you are in WY; Ask every person you see limping - what happened. I'll bet dollars to donuts that 80% are horse related injuries. I'll pass on that fun!
Horses and me don't get along neither. I've ridden too many mean horses who have a mind of their own. They've tried rubbing me off on barbed wire fences, barn doors, jumping over grain pits, dropping their head and stopping, bucking, you name it. My brother in ND is still a big horseman and loves his horses, not me, I like UTVs. Problem is UTVs can't go where horses go.

I just had my rotator cuff and labrum rebuilt and my bicep re-attatched in my dominant shoulder. Hunting this year will be left handed rifle or Contender. I need to figure out how I am gonna get the critter to my truck and in the truck. A capstan was the first option, and the only option the way I am feeling now. Hopefully in 4 months I will be able to operate a cart. Which non chineese cart is a good one for deer/antelope? I don't want one that will need to be rebuilt every season. I am expecting a 400 yd journey for each of 2 antelope and 1 deer tag.
Don't be a hero, hunt with a buddy. A re-injury takes longer to heal than the original.
I injured my shoulder and put the .340Wby in the safe for almost a year.

Horses and me don't get along neither. I've ridden too many mean horses who have a mind of their own. They've tried rubbing me off on barbed wire fences, barn doors, jumping over grain pits, dropping their head and stopping, bucking, you name it. My brother in ND is still a big horseman and loves his horses, not me, I like UTVs. Problem is UTVs can't go where horses go.
My sister's horse, Newada had a mean streak. If She was not paying attention it would step on her foot.

I've had 3 right shoulder surgeries such now it is no longer repairable. Unfortunately one surgeon failed to remove major calcium deposit shredding my rotator tendons beyond repair. Since I can no longer lift anything at great risk, I added this to my truck along with using a game cart. I just place cart up against tailgate, hit remote and watch deer slide up into truck! Harbor Freight carries this winch at reasonable price especially with coupon!

Last edited:
The hitch winch was the best $100 I ever spent. A sled built for ice fishing would help transport deer if the ground isn't too rough. I've only used a game cart once and it's find on flat ground but a nightmare on hills. I think it was from sportsman's guide so it was a Chinese made one but I never could get it to balance correctly.
If you've got a good pack already quarting it up in the field maybe your best option. Since loosing my leg in a motorcycle accident I'm going to start hunting public ground from my job boat at least it'll be a downhill drag…lol