Carrying/packing Looong Heavyyyyyy LR rifles

Every LR rifle I have hunted with so far fit in my Eberlystock XI scabbard with a bipod attached. This includes a 17# 338 LM in an A-5 and my LRKM

Jeff

I've had a mystery ranch crew crab 7500 for a while but finally got to put it through a real hunt this past September, hiking around with my 16.5 lb edge on the side in the water bottle pocket. Total pack weight was a little over 50lbs and was very comfortable carrying for 3-6 mi a day ascending and dscending 2000 ft. The only other pack I've had was a cheap cabelas pack so not much to compare with. But the MR was built comfortable enough that with my rifle on one side and even if you didn't balance the weight out you really couldn't even tell there was more weight on one shoulder. Yes by the end off the day if you don't switch sides your shoulder will be a little sore. There are also three straps on each side that will cinch the rifle down tight enough to keep the rifle from moving or sliding no matter what your doing.

Just ordered an Eberlestock Dragonfly with Super Spike duffel. Can't wait to try it while wolf hunting this winter. Have been unsatisfied with my series of cheapy packs. Like the idea of adjustable aluminum stays integrated into the soft frame. Anyone used this pack before?

Alan I carry mine in my gunslinger II just as you have pictured. The one thing I find is that after hiking for a long time I tend to take my gun out and just carry it over my shoulder with the sling. It takes some pressure off of my shoulders moving it.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.