Carrying a folding bone saw?

Litehiker

I have a Gerber Switchblade bone/wood saw. I carry only the bone saw blade and no sheath to save weight.

What saw (if any0 do you carry for butchering?

Eric B.

I never carry one unless I might need it for wood also.

I have a Bob Dustrude folding bow saw I'll take with a GB small forest axe if weight isn't an issue and I might want to process wood or have to cut a path for a horse through a burn. Usually though it's just my knife and maybe a Leatherman Wave with it's little saw blade.

I have the Gerber saw, but haven't used in years so I don't carry it. I do take in my toy hauler, but I have a chainsaw for wood and a cordless sawsall for bone in the storage area.

I have packed a pruning saw down into my camp, similar to what Barrelnut uses, but have never used it on an animal. I leave it in the area I hunt and use it to cut down dead trees in the few camps I use during the hunting seasons.

Out of curiosity, how are you using a saw on an animal? I typically do European mounts out of the smaller animals I shoot and even with big Bulls I just leave the head intact and cut off the jaw to save weight for the pack out.

Not doubting a saws usefulness, just don't personally see the need for one.

Out of curiosity, how are you using a saw on an animal? I typically do European mounts out of the smaller animals I shoot and even with big Bulls I just leave the head intact and cut off the jaw to save weight for the pack out.

Not doubting a saws usefulness, just don't personally see the need for one.

I carry one in my pack. When elk hunting I don't want to carry the whole head out (especially by myself) and use it to cut the antlers and skull plate off. If I ever kill one I want to shoulder mount I will make the extra trip for the whole head and cape.
With deer I will usually pack them in one trip, 4 quarters and backstraps/tenderloin. I'll use the saw to cut off the lower section of legs and the head. It packs easier and cuts some weight.

Around here arrow shot elk can run into very thick cover and die. That's really where I got the idea for the pruning saw. Have used it to clear an area around the downed elk so you can work on it or even got to it. Then I discovered they can cut bone well too.

Not sure about that gerber saw. If it's the one that interchanges with a knife blade, es no bueno. Teeth are to close and small and clog in seconds making it almost useless. Fresh bone can be very gummy. I've used a Wyoming Saw and a hatchet. Both work great. The hatchet is a little heavy. The Wyoming Saw is a little bulky and maybe a little heavier than I'd like. Barrelnut's suggestion of a "good" pruning saw with large teeth that won't clog with bone may be the way to go. They rip through wood like nobody's business too. They're lightweight and the blade folds into the handle and don't take up much space for such a big useful tool. A decent saw and a fairly good fixed blade knife can quickly process enough wood to help avoid a bad night in the woods and turn it into an interesting story should the occasion ever present itself.

Mine isn't folding ,it is a bone saw about the size of a small hacksaw. I have used it on elk since I was a kid .

I quit carrying a saw a long time ago because of the weight. This year I took a folding saw and boy was I glad. That weighs a lot less than the deer head I left behind after I cut off the antlers.

I just never go anywhere without a bone saw,hatchet,brush saw or a fine saddle axe while hunting or otherwise.Horseback we often take a small chain saw as well

I carry a Wyoming Saws that was given to me in the early 1990s by my friend that re-enlisted me.

WYOMING%20SAW_zpsdta9gxw6.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.