Carry pistol for CO elk trip

The only bear problem I have had in CO is black bears trying my sleeping bag out. Once during the day which guess was ok since no damage except for new entry into tent and once at night which I took exception to his noseyness. He skidaddled out when I said no thank you. We keep clean bear camp but they are still very inquisitive, nosey and pita sometimes. The key bear issue for you is not carrying but managing your kill site and keeping a pristine clean bear camp. Plenty of threads on LRH on this. Black bears were much bigger pita hunting the Adirondacks then CO IMO. They were more used to people.

Beware of listening to anything you hear on the Internet.
Contact CO and get it in writing.
In case you missed it CO is now a blue state.

Dropped an elk an hour before sunset about 1200 yards from our camp ground. (Go figure since we hiked up and down that dang mountain for 6 days). Since we were so close to our camp ground. We packed out half the elk. By the time we we returned for the other half it was dark. I kneeled down to start carving out the next portion of the elk. When all the sudden we heard a deep growl. My buddy who was holding the flashlight over my shoulder quickly flashed towards the growl to see a set eyes staring back at less than 30 yards was a bear in the woods.

My buddy took off running, I grabbed my chest mounted glock, but didn't drop my knife in the transition, slashing my thumb wide open. Said a quick prayer and stayed drawn toward the growl knowing I would be dead in less than a second if the bear decided to rush.

I heard him turn and walk away. The same week this happened we caught news of the Montanna Guide and Hunter who got killed by a bear. We both said, that would be a good way to go. (Sorry when you are in the mountain for a week chasing elk weird things go through your mind).

45 minutes later we heard another bear growling less than 100 yards away. We were fairly certain the first bear was still within eye shot of us waiting for us to leave. When the other bear started growling, I told my buddy, "that's it. We've got 90%. I'm not about to get in between two bears, with a gashed open thumb, and a dead elk carcass."

All that to say. Practice your draw in every position. Always remember to drop the knife before drawing the gun.

So what are you planning on carrying? I transitioned from .44 Mag to 10MM (Glock 40 MOS) a couple of years ago. I carry both bear spray and a sidearm when hunting in bear country. When hiking/camping, I also have my Karelian Bear Dog with me. 😇
I have both a 44 mag and a 10mm. Trying to decide which to take. Hoping to never need either, but will fell better with than without.

Colorado law limits the size of the magazine to fifteen rounds.
Not true-- all "high cap mags" are grandfathered in, you just can't buy a new mag that holds more than 15 ( unless of course it's a rebuild kit)-- dumb law with no way to really enforce

For hunting, semi-auto rifles have a limit of 5+1, but I've never seen a hunting pistol limit listed anywhere.

Protection pistols don't have limits, you can legally open carry or conceil carry with a permit - but you can only take game with a pistol during rifle season with a pistol that meets the regs . If you shoot for protection, you must report the kill to cpw and wait for an officer to meet you.

Best to just call cpw with any questions, they will most likely transfer your call to the enforcement division in Denver. If you want it in writing (that's what I do) then send an email, but expect it to take a while to get a written response.

No 10mm can compare to a max loaded 44 mag w/320 gr hardcasts.
1 or 2 shots is all you would ever get.
I'll stick with my 329.

If the bear is far enough away to get off more than 1-2 shots, you will be arrested for killing an endangered species (in the lower 48).

Even a 180 in a 10 vs a 320 in a 44, in like comparing a 300 BO to a 300 WinMag.

How many bears have you shot with your 10MM ?

If the bear is far enough away to get off more than 1-2 shots, you will be arrested for killing an endangered species (in the lower 48).

Even a 180 in a 10 vs a 320 in a 44, in like comparing a 300 BO to a 300 WinMag.

This confrontation really isn't necessary. A hit to the skull with either one would do the trick. Accuracy is more important, and if someone is more comfortable with one than the other, that is the better choice for them.

GerryBaker1960 is that you ????? ..................Again ??????

I can shoot my Taurus tracker .44 and any of my Glocks well, my personal reason for carrying my 5 shot .44 is because I doubt I will ever have the opportunity, or moreover, the ability to fire more than 5 accurate rounds on a charging bear, and in the more likely event that the bear beats me on the draw and ends up on top of me, I know that my revolver will fire if I have to "shoot by brail" (stuff the barrel into something soft and pull the trigger) where any semi auto may very well go out of battery, or not cycle a second round in that scenario.

Just my personal thought, I have also carried multiple glocks while hunting as well because I am very comfortable with them, train people on them, and carry one for work. I don't think they are a bad choice either. The best one is the one you shoot best with. If you don't hit a charging bear with a cns hit, your getting bloody.