Carry guns

Most of the time I carry 2. The Nightmare on my belt over my billfold.
And a Kimber Micro 380 in my pocket..Just in case?
But if I have the choice.. it's the Nightmare! I'm lucky in Kentucky we have
Deadly Weapons Licenses So BlackJacks BrassKnuckles Swords Switchblades
Pistols are all OK. And we are a Shall Issue state so you don't have to prove a need or anything else!

Last edited:
Carrying a firearm should be comforting not comfortable!

Carry as large of a pistol as you can conceal. Dress around the firearm. The micro pistols are the rage right up until people start training with them. Then they go buy something bigger. It is nice to have a micro for that one time you have to you cannot carry the larger one cause of your attire but not very often.

I'm not sure what you mean by "micro" pistols, but there are a bunch of people carrying and training with the 42/43/Shield size pistols. Once you go smaller than that, shootability can definitely become an issue.

My EDC is a Sig P938. It has a really nice trigger, and is surprisingly accurate for such a small gun.
Carrying a firearm should be comforting not comfortable!

Carry as large of a pistol as you can conceal. Dress around the firearm. The micro pistols are the rage right up until people start training with them. Then they go buy something bigger. It is nice to have a micro for that one time you have to you cannot carry the larger one cause of your attire but not very often.

I agree with this for the most part. It takes quite a bit of training to get good and get fast with these smaller pistols, but for me I need something I'll actually take with me. I own several full size and medium framed pistols, but I found myself leaving them at home or in the truck instead of wearing them. I buy 9mm ammo by the thousands and wouldn't carry anything without having put at least 500 rounds through it, 1500-2000 is better.

The difference in a comfortable carry gun is that you wear it more often IMO. If you're willing to w we a brick always then go for it, I find lots of people think they will but reality is different.

That, and I highly doubt a subcompact and an extra mag won't get you to safety which is the point of a carry gun, to live another day.

There's a big difference between a 43 and an lcp. I am much faster and more accurate with my performance center shield than my m9.

Deep conceal a Kahr CM9. Cooler weather S&W M&P Compact in a Stealth Gear IWB holster. Settled on Stealth after wasting money on four other ones.

I carry the Sig 365 Nitron. It's concealability is about as good as the Ruger LCS9 - but it has a 3 round capacity advantage @10+1. Stats will show that the vast majority of gun fights are fewer exchanges than this round count.
When it is cold - and I feel a coat is needed...I will carry a Springfield xDM 2.2 which is bulkier - but does have 15 round mag. capacity.
I know it is our right to carry open...But I highly - HIGHLY recommend against this. When you carry open - yo lose the only real advantage you have in an active shooter scenario: surprise. In fact - you trade of your one clear advantage, and re-badge yourself: First Victim........forget bravado - think strategy

A concealed carry pistol is a very personal weapon and needs to be carefully chosen. I would recommend that you first decided what cartridge you need and can handle. Next decide if you want high capacity or single stack. (Single stack pistols are more compact and are lighter) High capacity pistols are more bulky and are heaver.

Next handle as many pistols as possible in the type and capacity you are interested in and it will become clear which one you are interested in. Also decide if you want double action or single and double(These have to be cocked the first time and from there they are double action).

There is one other element that also needs to be decided on. Size and weight are important when carrying. I prefer steel frames for heavy use, But a concealed carry is not shot as often and they are much lighter and easier to carry, so this is another decision that needs to be made.

Don't get locked in on one pistol until you handle as many as possible. We all have our preference and are more than willing to recommend our choice, But you need to decide based on your likes and needs. Don't rule out anything until you evaluate all.

Just my opinion

J E CUSTOM

micro/subcompact/compact can become semantics. small pistols period. Have you ever talked with a survivor of an encounter where lethal force was applied? Why don't you ask Tom Givens what his students have said after such an event. They said I want a larger pistol that holds more rounds (that is to reload less not shoot more) that is easier to shoot.

Your in my world now and I have been an instructor for quite awhile with a large school on the West coast that trains thousands of people a year. I see what works and what doesn't. I have trained with the top instructors also. We all like to think that our option will do what we want cause that is the scenario in our head, but you forget one thing. The dirtbags haven't read your scenario.

Rory Miller said it best. If your training doesn't meet your worst case scenario your training is bulls**t. Like it or not its real.

Conceal the largest handgun you can. Dress around the gun and go take some training.

We all here talk about wearing a barrel out on a rifle. What about wearing a pistol out for life saving training. Come take a class with us/me and we will have a great time and do some things you probably didn't even think of then you can make your own evaluation of the platforms out there.

Conceal the largest handgun you can.

My only point was this but with an alteration.

Conceal the largest handgun you will

I know too many people that have a Glock 17/19 instead of a 26/43 for CC because it holds more rounds. That magazine capacity isn't doing a thing sitting on the dresser.

We are about the same size. In the beginning I tried to use little pistols. Started with the kimber solo and then the glock 43. I could not shoot them well. Oddly enough the most comfortable gun I ever carried was a glock 29 10mm. Accuracy was great also.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.