Caribou rifle suggestions

Was up there last Sept. Did not see bears, but seen a musk ox that got too close for comfort. Don't know if they will charge, but all three in group had our rifles at the ready. We did the float and hike hunt. Best hunting experience I ever had, still keep having dreams about it. And I didn't even get a shot a caribou. My brother got one at 852 yards though, with his Savage 6.5 Creedmore, it was dead before it hit the ground.

Your lighter 270 Winchester will do very well.

I have both a .300 Win mag Browning A-Bolt and a 1.5 pound lighter 6.5 Creedmoor Ruger American Predator. This year for mountain hunting I'm using the Ruger for cow and calf elk and buck mule deer with 143 gr. Hornady ELD-X Precision Hunter ammo. Hornady advertises it as having "match grade accuracy" and my Predator consistently gets 1/2 MOA 5 shot groups with it so I'm a believer.

For caribou a 6.5 Creedmoor is the least I would use and a 270 Win. is definitely better.

SCOPE: I would get a scope with at least 15 power as its max magnification. Caribou hunting is a long range affair because herds are easily spooked There are always a few elk in a herd on lookout at any given time.

Eric B.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts