Gear suggestions

longrangehuntr

Looking at the Badlands Sacrific vs the Tenzing TZ 6000. I heard the TZ5000 is not good for tall people.

I saw the post for shelters and wanted some ideas as far as 3 season tents.

I cant help you with either of those packs... I would suggest the Kuiu Icon pack is my favorite pack and I have many; Badlands 2200, 4700, Eberliestock J107 to name a few. The Kuiu is more functional for hiking and load distribution and the articulating waste belt and functional load lifters really make a world of difference.

Tents I am in the middle of researching a new tent. I want light weight for backpacking. I would like to keep it below 5 lbs and have it narrowed down to:

Tarptent Cloudburst 3, Double Rainbow, Scarp 2 and Hilleburg Anjan 2 or Nallo 2....

I think I am going to go with the Scarp 2 or Double Rainbow. Scarp 2 is a 4 season and actually pretty light for a 4 season with optional mesh lining for hotter weather. lastly Tarptent is made in the USA... so that helps.

Sorry but hope that helps.

Hilleberg tents are AWESOME but if you are tall you might find them a bit cramped in length when you lay down to sleep. I am 6'6" or 78" and the 87" floor for me is just to small. My bag touches the at the head or the feet and the condensation has been a problem.

I know it is a step down but I ended up with a REI Quarterdome T2 Plus and am very happy with it. Lots of room, under 5lbs and I have camped in some very bad weather and have yet to get wet or a have a problem.

The Badlands Sacrifice is a new pack for this year. I used it a month ago on a high-country 4-day scouting trip. I really liked it. It's unbelievably light yet does a good job of carrying a decent amount of weight. My pack was just under 50 lbs and I had room to spare.

I also used it last week day-hunting in the high country. It's a bit bigger than I really needed as a day pack but it straps down well to become nice and compact and because it's so light I never wished I had less pack. I didn't kill anything, but I would have been fine packing out a fair amount of meat with the Sacrifice based on my experience on the earlier scouting trip.

There where a couple times when I chose to strap my rifle to the back of the pack using its integrated carrier and I was pleased with how it worked and with the pack's balance with all that weight way back there.

If I may, I will wade in on stoves. I personally prefer the multifuel liquid stove. It primes well in extreme cold, is more wind resistant (especially with the screen), can be changed from one fuel to another by changing jets, and simmers well. My stove can burn 'white gas', diesel, gasoline, or kerosene by changing jets. There are not to many places on earth one of those is not available. The do weigh a bit more, ounces, but the BTUs are the best out of most stoves. I won't suggest a brand because their are many makes and models that are equally good. Price, personal preference, and part availability should govern choice.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.