Caribou/7mag/162 Amax?

sendero72

Should this load be more the adequate for caribou? This will be my first hunt in northern Quebec.

I wouldn't shoot an AMax if you gave them to me...

I'd shoot an Interlock over the AMax. But my bullet of choice would be a Berger 168 VLD.

As long as you keep it off the shoulder, you should be fine. About how much does a caribou weigh?

The caliber is more than adequate. The Amax is a bullet I would not however use.

If you like the Hornady the Interbond, Interlock or SST is a much better choice on game. The SST though just like the Amax can be explosive as hell at close range/high impact velocity.

The Interbond is a bullet though I have unqualified support for. I have killed more game, coyotes and bobcats with it than probably all other bullets combined in the last thirty years or so.

I killed 2 elk with 140gr Amax's last year at 3230fps MV in my 6.5-300wm. Both were under 125yds. One was quartering towards me and died within seconds. The second I jumped at 50yds after my dad wounded it. I broke it's back when it jumped up to run away and had to finish it with a head shot. I wouldn't hesitate to use a Amax on a caribou. I shot a caribou in Alaska with a 150gr .30 Nosler BT at 3400fps MV several years ago. It died instantly. Caribou aren't overly tough.

After seeing how the Amax performs in several calibers and at several ranges, I shoot them in all my rifles. I shot a bull elk at 107 yards lat year with a 208 amax in a 300wm. The bullet was a high shoulder shot, went through the first shoulder, left a cantaloupe sized wound channel through the body and part of the bullet went out the other shoulder. Remember, people said the Berger VLD shouldn't be used for game when it came out. Some crazy people started shooting them at game and found out they leave massive wound channels. I wouldn't hesitate to use the Amax.

I've used on whitetails for several years now with 100% success rate. The caribou weigh 300-400 lbs so I can't see them failing to bring one down. Thanks for your help.

Jim

i hunt caribou in the past it not a big animal in the north of quebec it weight it around 200-250 lbs for a mature male...it a medium game the normal size it 150 lbs like a whitetail

Just use the a-max. Try them out. I have been very successful with them. I have shot a bunch of whitetail with them. None of them have run more than 4 yards. I have shot them from 200 to 500 yards. Great bullet. I even have them on video. Don't hesitate to shoot them. In fact use them and give us a report.

I used a 140 Nosler BT on a caribou, N Quebec. DRT!! One in our party killed a nice bull at 200 yds with a 260. IMO, 162 A Max is plenty.....

Topmoteur is 100% spot on about caribou weight we have here. Based on my experience I would had that his numbers are living weight.

Caribou are not very strong animals. Shot in the vitals they tend to stay whit-in a few steps.

Your bullet might be ok, I never use target bullet on game and I am not planing to do so. Especially on an expensive hunt like this one, I think it is better to play safe and use a well proven combination.

The 162 Amax is the universal 7mm projectile used over here.

They are a little frangible under 200 yards at over 31-3200fps muzzle velocity on bigger animals.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.