advice for 7mm-08 162 amax

bydhrpr

I am thinking about buying a 7mm-08 barrel for my encore. I would like to use 162 amax. I would like a 500-600 yd rifle for deer.
I am also condidering a .280 barrel.
1. Would the 7mm-08 with amaxs be my best bet.
2. Is the 7mm-08 enough gun, or would the .280 be better suited.
3. I want an accurate, compact 500-600 yd deer gun. I think the 7mm-08 would be tough to beat. Am I missing anything here?

A 7/08 is a very accurate round, but I would question the use of the 162 Amax. You have a case capacity designed around a 140-150 gr bullet. Jumping up in weight will drop your velocity to around the 2,400 fps range (Hornady reloading manual). The 280 will drive the 162 around 2,900 fps (again Hornady manual). The 280 is a much more versitile hunting round for long range hunting. Ballistic coefficient without velocity to go with it is a losing proposition. Both are needed for trajectory and energy. Just my thoughts- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I regularely shoot a 7mm-08 and love the cartridge for whitetail hunting. I've also used it for shooting groundhogs at a fair distance. However, I never felt that it had enough UMPHFFF /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif for shooting deer at 500yd-600yds.

Maybe I'm too conservative but I would MUCH rather shoot a 7mm mag at those distances for taking any biggame. Actually, I rebarreled my 7mm mag to 7STW for just that purpose.

You need to move high BC bullets at a respectable velocity to minimize drop, minimize wind drift and to maximize energy at the target. While I'm sure that it is possible to take deer at long range with the 7mm-08, it would not be my choice for that intention.

How about 2 barrels for that Encore? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.