Cant pull the trigger on what I want.

I am new to the field of long range shooting. I have been shooting my whole life and have shot thousands of rounds and I have always been fascinated with the idea of just throwing a chunk of copper and lead hundreds of yards. I have been eyeing the Remington Sendero SFII for a couple months now, however, I am nervous that I am going to be spending a TON of money on a rifle I am not going to like. I see Remington and Savage as my top 2 picks; and all I can see from discussions are comparable to the argument of Ford and Chevy. Both have their advantages and disadvantages. I am also on the fence about the caliber I want to go with. On previous purchases I have always gone smaller and have regretted it. I have shot thousands of .308 rounds and love the caliber, but I want to take the step up to a .300 win mag but I am worried I am not going to enjoy it. I am just wondering if anyone around here felt the same way that I did when they first started out, and what they finally ended up doing. Applications for the gun are going to be long range plinking, eventually going out west to do some potential elk hunting. I also do alot of whitetail hunting as well so I might potentially use the gun for that too.

What part of the 300WM are you afraid you won't enjoy? Check out the guns for sale in this forum there is probably something there that catches your eye and may save you a little money but honestly a sendero is a very nice rifle to start with and you have a good platform for a build later if you so desire. If it was recoil put a brake on it you can find good choices here for that also .

Mostly welcome.:)

I try to buy every 300 win Sendero I see. Reason is I have set up several for friends for their first long range rigs. I have yet to see one that would not shoot 1 moa at 1000 yards pretty regularly. I do bed the actions and front lug areas on them. I also install a JP precision Tactical compensator brake and tune the trigger. They are fine rifles and my choice for an out of the box LR rig that will take elk, deer, Bear and most any game at long range.

Load up some 215 Bergers with H-1000 and go shoot. Recoil with the brake I listed is minimal.

Use a good quality rail base, rings and scope and I doubt you will not be disappointed.

Jeff

Go with the Sendero and Broz's advice. Plus if you get bored with it and have taken care of rifle, resale is still pretty good.

there really isnt anything else out there for factory rifles that can top the Senduro's, at least in the same price point. Savage 110's are nice rifles too. Of the two you've mentioned I would go the Senduro route hands down.

I would also look into the Winchester Coyote lite and the weatherby Accumark (a bit more coin but pretty sweet). If you would be into a light gun, the Winchester Extreme weathers are also very nice.

Still out f the Box, at least in the 300 WIN, I would go for the Senduro.

I agree with Broz and Angus. I have three different LR rigs of varying levels from completely custom to just adding an aftermarket barrel. The Sendero is by far my favorite!

If you go with the 300 wm I would definitely get a brake. I've got one and shooting it wouldn't be near as much fun without it. It's fine to go without if its just going to be a hunting gun, but true LR load development and practice requires a lot of rounds down range.

If your worried it would be too much, go with the Sendero in 7mm mag. My Sendero is a 7mag and to me it's the perfect combination of power and shootability. I've had mine for several years and without much effort hand loading was able to get it to shoot sub MOA with just about any bullet I tried. I sent it off last week to get the action cleaned up and a new barrel. I can't wait to get it back!! There's lot of LR info out there for this caliber to get u started.

If you anticipate elk hunting later, the .300 Win mag is sufficient — but just. It will kill elk, but please don't go smaller.

Having been on a few western elk hunts I can tell you most guides would say the Sendero is a bit heavy for carrying up & down mountains all day. I carried a Weatherby Accumark on my last elk hunt and felt the weight as I climbed 12,388 feet the first day. (GPS data.) There are hunts on ranch land that are more fitting for a heavy rifle, but there is a reason hunters like "mountain rifles" to be light.

The limiting factor on most elk hunts is the hunter's ability to keep climbing up and down mountains for a week straight. If you are ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN the added weight won't hinder you, you can go heavy. If not, every guide I've talked with recommends the lightest gun the person can shoot well.

That said, I like a heavier rifle when it comes to shooting. Even when winded from a hard climb I can shoot a heavy rifle. A can't say the same for some lighter guns. My primary mountain rifle is a Model 70 SS in .300 Weatherby — it's not an ultra-lightweight, but it's not a heavy gun either.

For general long-range practice, either the Sendero or a Savage will do. I would opt for the Savage mostly for the trigger, but both are good guns that are easily upgraded later if you so choose.

Muzzle brakes are GREAT for long-range target practice but they suck when you need to wear ear-plugs all day long on a hunt where you could trip over elk or see one at 650 yards. For that reason I hunt without a muzzle brake on everything but my .338-.378 Weatherby magnum. Savage offers a twist closed muzzle-brake that you can use closed (no brake) unless you have time to set up and put earplugs in. That is what I would recommend. Buy the Savage with a twist-open brake & you will have a gun that fits everything you anticipate doing.

I should probably post more, the whole elk hunt is not going to be an everyday thing. I am from WI and we dont have that here. I am 21 years old so I am fairly young and do not have the money to spend on a week long hunt, eventually I will go once I am out of college. I would probably use this rifle for primarily deer and when I draw my tag, for bear. I have the opportunity to make 600+ yard shots for deer hunting (not that I would take one that far) but I feel as though I will eventually regret not buying enough gun in the first place for when I have to option to go elk hunting. As stated before I am new to the game and even though I have shot a lot, this will be my first venture into long range shooting other than Kentucky windage. I am just curious as to everyone's opinions and how everyone started off into the realm of long range shooting and hunting.

I have owned several of the Sendero's (starting about 1997) and they were fine shooting machines, once I got the barrels broke in. Mine were all the first generation, except for the Stainless, Fluted .25-06Rem., I currently own. Shoots great by-the-way. I do not have any experience with the newer SF II's, but don't really care for the look or feel of them.

I have also owned several Savages through the years and currently two reside in my stable. Back in the day I guess a lot of folks thought they were cheap, flimsy and downright ugly. Looks can be deceiving because mine all shot great. The two that I currently own shoot like "houses on fire"! and look good to boot.

If I had to buy a new rifle today it would be a Savage. Check out Savages 111 Long Range Hunter, comes in .300 WinMag., in addition to 25-06Rem, 260Rem, 6.5X284Norma, 7mmRemMag and .338 Lapua Mag (elk medicine fer sure!).

These have the AccuTrigger, AccuStock, Karstan Adjustable Comb, Adjustable muzzlebrake and 26" barrel. MSRP is $1020.00 (street price usually $150-200 cheaper).

The Sendero SF II is available in 7mmRemMag, 300WinMag and 300RUM and wears the excellent HS Precision stock with aluminum bedding block. Not sure about their triggers. They are usually tuneable though. MSRP is $1451.00.

The choice is yours, make it light on yourself. :) JohnnyK.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.