Trigger pull on an AR-15

Jeff In TX

I just picked up my left-handed DPMS 20" Bull Panther yesterday and spent the day at the range with my buddy.

This was my first experience with any type of AR rifle. I purchased the JP adjustable trigger when I purchased the rifle.

The first few shots, I kept telling Jim pulling, pulling, still pulling the trigger......BANG! gun finally went off. Not sure what the trigger pull is, but it's much heavier than I am use to. It took a bit of getting use to, but we had a great time shooting it.

What's considered a normal but safe trigger pull on an AR type rifle. I'm used to 2 lbs on my bolt actions, but something tells me, that's way too light for an AR.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Hey Jeff, I got a Colt that had a really bad factory trigger. It took me about two weeks to decide I needed another trigger. I bought a Jewell two stage trigger, fully adjustable for both stages and sear engagement. I got mine down to .5 pound on the first stage and a pound on the second for a total of 1.5 pounds. Hope this helps.

Jeff,
The answer really depends on what you intend to do with the rifle. If it is a bench/varmint gun a very light pull is desirable. If you intend to use it as an assult/defense rifle, 4-6 would probably be more in line. Remember, when the adrenaline is flowing the sense of touch and the fine motor skills can be greatly reduced. A 2lb trigger could land you in a world of hurt with the leagle eagles if you have a neglent discharge during a time of stress. If you only plan on punching paper and sending woodchucks to the big bean field in the sky, a 2lb trigger is much better /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif.

NOrmally on a gas gun, anything under about 2 pounds or so is not a super safe trigger. Even 2 stage. Jewell is a waste of money. Go to White Oak Precision and tell him you want a tuned RRA trigger for a match rifle and light in weight.

This comes from me, who probably has more ARS in his safe than most. And can shoot those in his sleep. FYI I"ve been to Perry so many times with my AR that I promise you I'm not steering you wrong.
Other option is the Knight trigger. Very expensive and fairly hard to come by. But the tuned(not factory)RRA as done by JOhn Holliger is all you'll ever want or need.

Jeff

Jeff,
The JP trigger is adjustable safely down to 2.0 lbs. I have put several in customer guns and have a couple in my own. I own 6 ar-15 of different conf. I used a JP triggered ar to win several 3 gun championships and placed 9th at the 3 gun nationals. They work well for the pull you want you can set it up crisp and bolt rifle like. I like the same trigger action you do. If you intend to ever even think about this AR as a tactical rifle 2.0 is to light, 4lbs would be much better.

Shawn Carlock,

Can you email me directions on setting the trigger pull on the JP trigger. I tried reading JP's 6 pages of info they sent me with the gun. ****, I'm an engineer and it's got me totally baffled. I feel it's got to be a quite simple process, but there instructions are written so I can't figure them out.

Any help you can give me would be great.

Thanks

Shawn

Are you serious? as crisp as a bolt gun? LIke breaking glass with no creep. Never seen one set up like that. Unless it was a 2 stage. The JP must have redone all the geometry again to get to that.

I"m with you though-- single stage, anything under 2 pounds is very iffy as to total reliability.

I've won quite a bit at state and nationals and set some range records along the way with RRA tuned triggers from White Oak Precision. Thats what I'd suggest unless you are set on a single stage.

Shawn-- I'd still love to meet up someday and try that trigger. It sounds like a coup for a single stage trigger.

Jeff

Jeff,
The trigger has not changed, how you install and adjust them is the difference. I do a pile of trigger jobs on factory AR's 2-3 lbs and crisp like a bolt gun using factory parts. It is all in the setup. I have been altering trigger groups for quite sometime (both factory and aftermarket)because I hate 2 stage triggers for my own use.

Shawn thanks for the update. Never pulled a crisp single stage. And am so used to the 2 stage that in rapid fire I can dump 35-40 and have all hits with irons on the silhoutte target at 600 yards. But we always though that a single stage might be nicer in that particular rattle battle match at nationals.

Send me some more contact info and what do you charge to put a JP in? I don't need one but I might mull it over a bit and spend it just to amaze myself. I still just have this affection for the AR platform. Can't wait to get my beowulf....

Thanks again!, Jeff

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.