cant get good group please help

bubba340sa

i have a 300 wby in a light weight accumak with a custom laminated glass bedded stock with a mark 4 8.5-25 leupy and my groups keep moving i shot 1 shot 1 inch high 2nd shot bull 3rd and 4th in my first hole and fifth in my 2nd hole this keeps happening with all differnt loads and differnt yards ive tryed everything and just cant get it to shoot consistent it seems like my point of impact keeps changing then goes back not the scope changed tryed free floating original stock really bad so i just dont know what to do please help

I do not respond here much because I do not know much, but parralex/cheekweld or scope problems would be my guess. Had a scope develop 2 zeros once, would shoot two tight groups two inches apart. At least you will get great customer service if it is the problem. Not sure what range you are shooting but there may be a thread under long range optics regarding parallex that you may wish to read. It is very informative. Good luck.

Welcome to LRH! I think you will like it here. I have learned a lot and my max effective range has nearly doubled since I joined this board.

The 300Wby is an outstanding long range caliber. It's my personal favorite caliber. I use mine on everything from tweeties to Elk.

Have you tried letting someone else shoot it? How are you supporting and hanging onto the stock. Are you on bags shooting it free recoil or on a bi-pod hanging on tight? When you mount the rifle with your eyes closed and get good and comfortable what does the sight picture look when you open your eyes? I bet your lifting your head to see. I use an 8.5-25x50 VX-III and I have to lift a bit depending on my rest. Parallax is a huge issue if you're getting multiple groups. A 300Wby is not one of the easiest guns to shoot consistently. I couldn't do it regularly until I tried one with a brake. I shoot my Accumark in free recoil off of bags for maximum accuracy. What is your trigger set too? Mine is under 1 pound for good accuracy and I have a real Accumark. The factory stock is very good but all of mine have improved by a skim bed job. All of mine came fully floated.

What is a Accumark Lightweight? That is the name of two different Mark 5 rifles. Accumarks are 8 3/4 pounds out of the box. They have a brushed stainless barrel with blackened flutes with the muzzle diameter of .705" in a black stock. With the heavier barrel I can bang off 3 in a row for group. Then I have to wait about 30 minutes to shoot again. Don't even think of 5 unless you need a branding iron. I still consider it pretty light for accuracy work. If I can ever get the groups to open up I'm going to put a much heavier barrel on it. A Super Varmint Master contour but a few inches longer.

A Mark 5 Ultra Lightweight weighs 6 3/4 pounds and has an all black-fluted barrel in a tan colored stock. The barrel ends in a .583" muzzle. I suspect this is the rifle you have. It can be almost as accurate but is much harder to shoot tight groups with in 300Wby, I believe due to recoil and since it is so light the trigger pull weight is very critical. How the rifle is supported is going to have a huge effect on the groups. On a lightweight you really should wait 15-20 minutes between shots. If this is the rifle you have I would get a brake on it as soon as you can or trade it for a regular Accumark. Otherwise I would put a VX-III 4.5-14x50 on it and use it for steep country and get something heavier for the longer work.

Wby made an Accumark Lt Weight, have one in stock. Never seen one offered in their mag chambering. I'm not referring to their ULW, which just recently (05, I beleive) comes with the tan stock and black barrel. 04 model looks just like a minature Accumark. Wby makes what Wby makes, lotta variations.

Never weighed one--guessing, around 7½#. Do have some pics, but just looks like a Accumark.
Getting back to the two grouper, if I read your post correctly--this is happening with two different stocks and you have tried another scope. At this point I would most definitly try another operator, sometimes the nut behind the gun get a little loose. Happens to all of us at times.

thanks for the help but ive got my buddies to shoot it and its the same for them i have taken of my mounts and ground an x in the mounts and reciever and epoxed them to eliminate the mount from moving now gotta go back to the range the gun is an ultra light weight accumark it has a 26 inch barrell and weighs 6 3/4 pounds they quit making it last year i think it looks thhe same as an accumark but lighter barrel and they lightend the action and made the stock lighter

get a little mag light one You can see the copper bild up in the end of Your barrel clean all copper out of barrel shoot Your first round and look in the end of the barrel note were the bild up is You will probably see it on some lands and not on outhers as You shoot it changes this is what is throughing the shots off I had the same problem I used tubbs final finsh after useing it I found that the copper would bild up evenly inside the barrel it's a pain becouse You haft to clean all copper out after every shot or You end up laping copper and not the high spots. I have also found that I get better results latter testing bullet seating depth than powder wight

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.