Stock decision help, I cant decide !

Discussion in 'Equipment Discussions' started by Mada, Dec 22, 2011.

1. Mada

Mada Well-Known Member

So I've finally saved up enough for a McMillan stock. THEYRE EXPENSIVE!

What I really want out of this stock is most importantly durability, something that can take what I throw at it.
    I shoot prone with a bi-pod when I am plinking and sometimes hunting, and the stock I have now has a broken sling swivel! I guess all the bi-pod shooting stripped the swivel screws..

During a hunt, you never know what type of shooting position you're going to get into. So I want this stock to perform great sitting and offhand shooting aswell, so weight is going to be an issue.. Nothing more then 3lbs.

I only have enough for one rifle, so I want a do-everything rifle from plinking to long hunting hikes..

I've always liked the A4 for its vertical grip and parallel forend. Something IMO is great for prone shooting,
    but I also like the HTG because of its simplicity; a mix up between "tactical" and traditional rifle stocks.

I want to know what your input on this is.. Which stock should I go with or if theres a different stock I should take to consideration... :D

2. Mada

Mada Well-Known Member

I've also been thinking of the A-3 aswell. I heard these were lighter too

3. trebark

trebark Well-Known Member

My two prone rifles wear A3's. I like the vertical grip stocks for prone but not to 'carry'.

For a do-it-all stock, go with the HTG as it is a more traditional shaped stock which is better for woods hunting, but it can also be had with an adjustable cheek piece which is important for prone shooting.

4. Mada

Mada Well-Known Member

I really REALLY like a vertical grip, and "carrying" is mostly going to be slung over the shoulder (until the stalking begins)

Do your A3s have any adj cheeks rest? How much do they weigh w/ or w/out, would you know ?

Pics would be nice to see too? :D:D

Last edited: Dec 23, 2011
  5. trebark

Both my A3's have adjustable cheek pieces.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f53/my-260-mcr-59628/

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f53/my-300rum-mcr-70809/#post494570

Not sure how much they weigh.

Like you, I really like a vertical grip and agree that most of the time when carrying a rifle it is slung over a shoulder or in a backpack. What I mean though by 'carry' rifle is one where you might take it off your should in order to shoot off-hand. In that case, a vertical grip is not optimal. Here's my carry-gun:

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f53/my-280-updated-32771/

If you add an adjustable cheekpiece to this rifle, it becomes a good 'all-around'

The HTG would give you that option.

6. Mada

Mada Well-Known Member

Wow wow wow ! Very nice shoulder cannons you have ! Its funny because I've seen these lurking around too, lol

I think I'm gunna throw dices aha, each have pro/cons and I change my choice everyday =/ Leaning toward the HTG ADJ though, will have to save a lil bit more though..

7. trebark

Thanks.

Not to toot my own horn too much, but I really feel like my rifle collection is a 'perfect' set.

260Rem
    280Rem
    300RUM

Surprisingly, without any preplanning at all, they are all 'remington' cartridges.

8. Mada

Mada Well-Known Member

Would you think the extra weight of an ADL stock is worth it? Plus the $110 bucks for it installed?

9. trebark

What extra weight? because of factory bottom metal? detachable mag?

extra cost to install?

10. Mada

Mada Well-Known Member

Oh, I meant adjustable cheek peice.. Sorry IDK why I put ADL..
    There is extra weigh for the ACP right ?

11. trebark

I think the added weight would be in the 'ounces' as there is a small amount of metal mechanical parts. Also, I am sure there is an extra charge for it.

My recommendation for you at this point would be to put together a list of your questiona and call McMillan.

12. Mada

Mada Well-Known Member

Sounds like a splendid idea XD .. will do ! Thanks for all your help though !

13. bb204

bb204 Well-Known Member

Look into the A-3 Sporter. It's not on their website but you can see pics by doing a search online. I have one in the works now. Should be here in about 6 more weeks.