Cant Decide....

Butter_Bean

Good Morning, well, seems I'm stuck again. I am a huge fan of the 7mm08. I shoot 162 gr SST's in a Rem 700 short action and a factory detachable mag. Its a factory gun, and a true 3/4 inch rifle when I do my part. So here is the rub. The 162 sst is way down in the powder column and the boattail is past the neck/shoulder junction. The detachable mag max length wont allow me to seat the bullet out far enough to get the length I need. I don't think and magazine assembly for the short action will allow the length I need. So, I am thinking about getting a Zermat Origins Action in medium length and build the rifle I have always wanted. I can swap around and pick up a long Rem 700 action and have it accurized, or go the route of the Zermat. What would you do in this situation?

The only issue I can see in the mid length action is finding stock/bottom metal/chassis for that action length. It's out there, but may not be in the configuration you want. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. Maybe there's more midlength options out there than I'm aware

If you want a Zermat, get one ,but don't most companies just make short and long actions,maybe I'm Al wet but don't know enough about the medium length actions ,don't lots of guys run long actions with short cartridges, and get just what you want, I had my 243 BBR ,rebarreled with a 9 twist #3 cmoly Lilja 27 inch, I run the stock magazine at 2.800and 160 TSMK do 2780 fueled by h4350 . Good Luck with Whatever you decide ,Cheers 🥳🍀😆

The medium length (3.2") Zermatt, Borden, Defiance XM plus, Lone peak all have the same bottom metal platform. The original Defiance XM does not have the same bottom metal as the action screw distance is different. Hawkins makes bottom metals and hunter mags for all of first ones, bottom metals for the defiance XM but magazine choice is only MDT 10 round. Kinport Peak rifles can take the mdt mags and make them into 4 or 5 rd mags for the defiance XM.

Stocks and Chassis
-manners
-XLR

Good Morning, well, seems I'm stuck again. I am a huge fan of the 7mm08. I shoot 162 gr SST's in a Rem 700 short action and a factory detachable mag. Its a factory gun, and a true 3/4 inch rifle when I do my part. So here is the rub. The 162 sst is way down in the powder column and the boattail is past the neck/shoulder junction. The detachable mag max length wont allow me to seat the bullet out far enough to get the length I need. I don't think and magazine assembly for the short action will allow the length I need. So, I am thinking about getting a Zermat Origins Action in medium length and build the rifle I have always wanted. I can swap around and pick up a long Rem 700 action and have it accurized, or go the route of the Zermat. What would you do in this situation?
I personally wouldnt run a 7mm-08 in a medium as I dont think you gain enough with that case capacity. Id recommend going with the WSM, 6.5 PRC, SAUM family with a medium action. Or go fully custom and end up with one of the Sherman

I run a 300 wsm with 195 badlands bd2 (mono) at 3k (3.22") in a defiance XM deviant. Ive been through the rabbit hole of finding a chassis and magazines but I am also LH so that adds to hassle.

Last edited:
I run a 284 Shehane in a Zermat Bighorn long action. I load it out to 3.2" COAL with the 162 AMAX or the equivalent ELD-X and have plenty of room for more if I want to go there. It shoots VERY accurately and at just under 3000 fps. Once I take into account my barrel weight I see no downside to the extra weight, or throw, of the long action.

If you love your Rem you could do this.

Takes a GS to do it right, work the feeding, but can allow you to load em long. I did this an it's about 1/3 the cost of the new action. BUUUTTTT a new rifle is always fun...

Also id recommend going with the WSM, 6.5 PRC, SAUM family with a medium action. Or go fully custom and end up with one of the Sherman
If you love your Rem you could do this.

Takes a GS to do it right, work the feeding, but can allow you to load em long. I did this an it's about 1/3 the cost of the new action. BUUUTTTT a new rifle is always fun...

Yes i forgot about thag but the extra .10" is more than enough for the 7mm-08

zermatt, xlr, kinport peak rifles for a xm mdt cut down mag. Done.

I run a bighorn sa with 2.960 coal mdt mag in a prc and see no issue with performance. Before you do anything confirm if you are truly going to gain by moving to a different action.

Since the rifle is solid I would put the Wyatt box in it and IMO it would be finished. If the rifle wasn't solid I would 100% go with the build but you have ONE thing holding it back, and that one thing is fairly simple and relatively inexpensive to correct. If you did this while you were acquiring the parts to build another it would keep you busy and out of the pool hall......

Recent Posts