Can't decide on a scope!!!

Discussion in 'Long Range Scopes and Other Optics' started by Savagebien, Mar 30, 2008.

1. Savagebien

Savagebien Well-Known Member

I have been trying to research all i can since i need a new scope for my Savage .243. I will be shooting up to 500 yards most of the time maybe push it when i get better. But i cannot decide on what scope to get, i want a mil dot reticle, and turret adjustments, something from 3 or 4 to 10-16 power. I want to get something that will have repeatable adjustments and not cost over 300 or 350 because im poor, but i dont want to end up with junk! Should i avoid Mueller, Swift, Hawke, and BSA? Also the mil dot might be able to be forgotten if everything else suits me.... Thanks in advance any advice will be appreciated!

2. Iron Worker

Iron Worker Well-Known Member

Junk

Most of those scopes you listed are junk. Hey look into a Bushnell 5x15x40MM 3200 elite. I believe they're in your price range. I just purchased a Elite 6500 2.5x16x50MM its "Bad to the Bone" cost me $640.00 from the Optic Zone.They'll help you get the right scope.

3. Savagebien

Hey, thanks man, didn't realize they sold the 3200 in that style with mil dot, would that be a first focal plane ret?

4. Iron Worker

Iron Worker Well-Known Member

No

No its SFP so you want the full monty concerning tactical scopes Ha? I understand only the way upper end scopes can you get the FFP option. Why do you want that? Those mill dots are for snipers range estimation on man size targets. Tell us your not a sniper.......

5. Savagebien

sure aren't just wondered about it though

6. USMC 338

USMC 338 Well-Known Member

If you can find one weaver tactical has the milldots on the ffp and turrets.

7. geargrinder

geargrinder Well-Known Member

Make sure it is an older Weaver Tactical not on of the new Grand Slam Tacticals. The new ones out this year are SFP.:(

8. royinidaho

royinidaho Writers Guild

I have a Weaver Tactical FFP 4.5-14 x 42.......

If someone would give me $3000.00 I'd sell it. Well maybe not. That's how much I think of it.

I've found one in the last year that I couldn't verify by pic as authentic nor could I verify the credibility of the seller.

If I come across another I'm snapping it up if I have to mortgage my rights in hell.:D

9. geargrinder

geargrinder Well-Known Member

I know where there is one. But I'm keeping it secret until i can find the money to buy it myself.:D:D