I need to decide on a scope

You don't 'dial for the distance'? all your shots are done with hold-overs?

That's what's great about the system, it is a "christmas tree" shaped reticle, and you get on Zeiss website they have a calculator which generates dead hold values for ranges out to 800 or 1000 yards, plus 5 and 10 mph wind variations. Plug in the Scope mount height, BC, Velocity, Altitude, Temp, and a few other variables, and it will tell you what power to use for "dead on" hold through the reticle range from 100-800 yards. It's usually at the top of the power range for the scope (in my case about 13X power in a 14X scope). You can input specific power values, and the calculator will print out a "dope" card for you if you would like to shoot at another power.
In long range shooting its always nice to have a spotter for you, however I often don't have that luxury. This means I have to evaluate the wind and range the shot for myself, which isn't a big deal, but when you're fumbling on the knobs to "dial-up" the shot, you're wasting precious seconds on public land that could cost you an opportunity. As I mentioned I can think of atleast three distinct occasions with a Leupold or Burris that I missed the window on HUGE bulls by fumbling with knobs, while I could have been shooting. Not to mention that something with parts that move a bunch is also way more prone to problems in the long run than something that remains stationary. I had a leupold and a burris XTR scope back to the factories because they wouldn't maintain Zero after quite a bit of some use, which has me losing confidence in movement of turrets. When it comes to shooting at a trophy animal under often physically and especially mentally demanding conditions I find the "dial-up" method is a real hindrance. Of course both methods require verifying your rifle and ammo to the Tee before you even attempt those longer shots. Looks like nightforce has put out a velocity reticle that looks and works very similar to the zeiss. I was talking to Ken Jarrett not to long back and he also favors these long range reticles as opposed to dialing it up for many of the same reasons.

A couple years or so ago I bought a Leupold VX-3 4.5-14 LR and sent it in to the Custom Shop and had an M1 elevation turret and TMR reticle installed.

The total cost at the time was around that $800 mark - maybe just over.

I like to dial for elevation and hold off for windage...I have this on my main Elk/Deer rig (300WM) and I'm very pleased with this setup.

Mike,
Consider talking to doug @ cameraland. I've bought 2 zeiss conquest scopes with rapid Z (dealer demo's) from him ($700-800), and have been very pleased. After I started using Zeiss glass, I sold all my leupy's and burris glass....IMO, simply no comparison. My long range rig has the rapid Z 800, but I'm going to switch it up to the Z-1000. I've got a bunch of one shot antelope kills over 500, and two long range bull elk kills (one shot each) 616, and 787 yards respectively. After using the rapidZ system over fumbling around with turrets in the field and losing opportunities at some great trophies I'm certain I will never go back unless I go to hunting prairie dogs exclusively. Having practiced with the rapid-Z system, I can hit a large baloon on a stake with one shot out to 800 yards without fumbling with knobs as long as my inputs are solid in the calculator.

Thats what I did last week when I aw his add in the sponsors section here on the BB. Called him and bought another Conquest 6.5-20

I have 2 6.5-20x50 conquests with Z-1000 reticles and I like them a lot. Both have turrets, one with Kenton pre-set knobs, and the other, with regular Zeiss target turrets. I use the Rapid Z for closer shots when speed is necessary, but always use the turrets for long range stuff. Holdover is great out to 700-800 yards, but beyond that, it gets pretty iffy because of environmental conditions. One size does not fit all in that case. This has worked very well for me and you have the best of both worlds. The windage marks on the Zeiss can also be very helpful when using the turrets.
I also have a question: I am building a long range 30 on a BAT action and want a little more magnification than the Zeiss. I am strongly considering the Sightron SIII 8-32x56 LR. Do any of you have one or have knowledge of the scope? I have heard that they have great glass and are very repeatable. Any info would be appreciated.....Rich

I have 2 6.5-20x50 conquests with Z-1000 reticles and I like them a lot. Both have turrets, one with Kenton pre-set knobs, and the other, with regular Zeiss target turrets. I use the Rapid Z for closer shots when speed is necessary, but always use the turrets for long range stuff. Holdover is great out to 700-800 yards, but beyond that, it gets pretty iffy because of environmental conditions. One size does not fit all in that case. This has worked very well for me and you have the best of both worlds. The windage marks on the Zeiss can also be very helpful when using the turrets.
I also have a question: I am building a long range 30 on a BAT action and want a little more magnification than the Zeiss. I am strongly considering the Sightron SIII 8-32x56 LR. Do any of you have one or have knowledge of the scope? I have heard that they have great glass and are very repeatable. Any info would be appreciated.....Rich

Sightron SIII scopes are great. Their glass is clear and their turrets are reliable and repeatable. I have a few buddies that will only use Sightron SIIIs. One of those guys is on this board (JUDD). You can see the 8-32x56 on his bada$$ rifle here:

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f17/judds-new-mcr-7mm-dakota-71098/

That rifle is also for sale:

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f25/mcr-russo-bat-7mm-dakota-79780/

Kevin Cram (LRH Sponsor and a friend of mine) has an SIII 8-32 for sale....

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f40/sightron-8-32-x-56-nib-fs-80076/

I favor my Leupy w/ tmr , my holds are the same as my dial up and I will have main ones in memory by end of season and there on out. With mil turret. With 200 zero I get to 810 yrd on 5 mil cross hair. I hold and shoot if quick or dial if more time, prefer to dial.Taken antelope to 800+

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.