Can someone please explain this to me?

Tikkamike

I know this is a very complex subject, or so it seems. I am kind of intimidated by it becuase it is a game changer for me. I am fairly novice to long range i do pretty well out to 800 yards but I am in the process of building a 338LM and I want to be as informed as possible. I see people talking about load base and running different numbers figuring out g-1 and g-7 bc and this and that. Lots of stuff I do not understand. Is this all in an effort to have the absolute best info possible when getting turrets cut? is it a bench rest thing? I know you can get you velocity and bc and give it to leupold and they will cut you some turrets. I know the manufacturers given b.C. is relative to rifle and conditions, but couldnt I shoot a few different ranges and plug those numbers to correct the BC and have a very accurate turret made?I am interested in shooting up to 1500 yards effectively. I know I can have someone like cloud peak gunworks do a ballistic profile with my rifle then he will make me turrets. Can someone please break it down for me is it something i need to get familiar with to maximize my effective range? Thanks

I know this is a very complex subject, or so it seems. I am kind of intimidated by it becuase it is a game changer for me. I am fairly novice to long range i do pretty well out to 800 yards but I am in the process of building a 338LM and I want to be as informed as possible. I see people talking about load base and running different numbers figuring out g-1 and g-7 bc and this and that. Lots of stuff I do not understand. Is this all in an effort to have the absolute best info possible when getting turrets cut? is it a bench rest thing? I know you can get you velocity and bc and give it to leupold and they will cut you some turrets. I know the manufacturers given b.C. is relative to rifle and conditions, but couldnt I shoot a few different ranges and plug those numbers to correct the BC and have a very accurate turret made?I am interested in shooting up to 1500 yards effectively. I know I can have someone like cloud peak gunworks do a ballistic profile with my rifle then he will make me turrets. Can someone please break it down for me is it something i need to get familiar with to maximize my effective range? Thanks

This is the "teaching you to fish response". : )

Your very next act relative to reloading and long range shooting should be to buy Brian Litz's book "Applied Ballistics for Long Range Shooting". Plan to read it from cover to cover, starting on the first page with print and proceeding to the last page with print. Then, read it again with a pencil and paper in hand. When you are done it will be the most educational experience you've had with regard to what you are asking about. It was for me. I'm reading it a third time and learning more each time.

The book should be on the "must read" list for every person that wants to shoot game beyond point blank range.

Fitch

How are you working out to 800yrds now? Are you holding over, or dialing?

I would not get a drop compensating turret simply because I switch too often to new bullets or powder.

I think that a repeatable scope in moa or iphy and using drop charts will get you to 1000yrds effectively. Beyond that I think a shooter needs to be able to get real time data and use a ballistic calculator in the field.

I am no expert. In fact, I consider my self a neophyte, but I am having a lot of fun learning.

Steve

PS. After typing this I am not sure that I am talking about the same thing your question asked. If not just ignore my random ramblings.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.