Can someone comment on Swarovski's Ballistic turret?

Smoak352

I am days away from pulling the trigger on what I believe I have decided on the 3-18x44 Z5. I am trying to decide if the ballistic turret's cost, weight, and odd colors make it worth it for me to shoot a few times over 300 yards. Right now, I do not shoot over 300 yards, but does not mean I will never hunt where I can shoot over 300 yards.

This scope is going on a 257wby. Please someone with the BT give me some input.

Nobody on this site has a Swarovski scope with the new ballistic turret? I am ready to order the scope but am just trying to decide if it is worth getting with the BT...

If you have this scope please give me input...

if you're not shooting over 300 yards very often, why would you mess with the turrets. get the balistic reticle, will work past 6-700 yards or more. faster and more reliable. to be honest i've never heard of anyone using the Swaro turrets on here. i think it's considered to be their achilies heel. i'm planning on getting their BRX reticle for my long range carry gun. will get me past 1k without turning the turrets.

I dont personally have one. But it seems to me that it is a simplified version of the Huskemaw system, and we wouldn't have to send the data off and wait to get the turret built. It can be set up for that rifle/load right there on the range.

I don't know anything about Swarovskis' tracking and turret repeatability/accuracy, but if it's on par with their optics; I wouldn't be afraid to buy one. It is a light weight scope that would fit well on a sporting weight rifle.

On the other hand, a 257 weatherby is a flat shooting gun that doesn't require any dialing or special reticle to shoot big game out to 400 yds. I've done it with my 25-06 many times and the weatherby is even better. A downside to the scope is that it's not available with a hold over or hash style reticle, so we'd be stuck with using the dial (huskemaw is the same, we have to dial for elevation on stuff beyond 400 yds).

Personally, if I am going to spend $1500+ on a scope; I want it to have some sort of hash/holdover/ranging reticle and good turrets, but getting all that in a lightweight scope has proven kinda tough to do.

I have one on a Kahles scope (made by Swarovski). It does everything they claim. The Kahles version has one more set-point than the Swarovski version — otherwise they are identical.

With a .257 Weatherby you have a cartridge meant for 500-600 yards (or more) on most game. The ballistic turret will allow you to set points for dead-on-holds at 4 ranges & then allow you to reset it if you ever change loads or elevation.

There is perfect tracking on any Swarovski scope. That is not an issue.

I would probably opt for the BRX reticle if you know your shots will be under 600 yards — assuming you can find a BRX reticle.

I have a Z6i 2.5-15x56 with the BT and 4AI reticle. I really do love this scope. I didn't find too many quality scopes with such a broad range of the power. I reload all my own ammo, and once the data was input to the calc s., I turned the BT to 400, fired and hit the target. Impressive. I also put a Burris fast fire on top for the really tight woods.
I like an advantage!

My business partner has the exact scope you're looking at. Using factory ammo and the Swaro calculator it's dead on to 480 yards (our furthest shot with the rifle so far). I think its biggest downfall is no windage adjustment, but otherwise it's outstanding glass and a nice system.

My business partner has the exact scope you're looking at. Using factory ammo and the Swaro calculator it's dead on to 480 yards (our furthest shot with the rifle so far). I think its biggest downfall is no windage adjustment, but otherwise it's outstanding glass and a nice system.

If you get the Z5 with the 4W reticle it has hash marks for holding for wind and when you couple that with the BT it is a winning combination. I was expecting Swarovski to come out with the 4W for the Z6 BTs but they apparantly have not. I have a 3-18X50 Z6 BT and love it with the 4 reticle but would have rather had the 4W. I use it on my .308 and can dial right on for each of the settings. I also interpolated between settings for odd ranges and it is very close. I have yet to find anything that is not top notch with the Swarovski.

I believe Swarovski will annouce a BDC type upgrade for people w/BT scopes at SHOT show, at a very reasonable price. Combined with the 4w reticle should make a good hunting scope out to @600yds or so.

I have Z3 4x12-50 Bt great scope glass is awesome , I have shot targets using there calc, with 180 TBBC federal loads out to 500 out past that I do not know no wind adjustment just know my dope from the range , longest shot with this set up has been 347 yards , ranged it ,dialed it ,shot it dead pig right on target , if you are going to shoot past 600 yards I would choose a different scope that you could dope . iMOPgun)

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.