Calling?

Okie John

I killed my first bear with a guide this summer and I'm hooked. That hunt was spot-and-stalk but I've been reading about calling bears and it sounds interesting. Most of what I read says that a normal predator call will do the trick.

Does anyone here call bears? If so then what gear and techniques do you prefer?

Thanks,

Okie John

I'm looking to get into bear hunting, and in my little "hi I'm new to the forum" thread, I got this advice from @Reelamin :

"Calling them with a predator call is very effective. Rabbits fawn distress, cow elk calls, k9 distress, even wood pecker work great for us. Spot and stalk is good also just we have big country so we can glass lots of land. Farm land especially corn fields are the most productive after the ears are more than half grown. If you can get permission when they harvest to sit on a perimeter stand."

After taking a great black bear in northern British Columbia on the first day of my 7 day bear hunt, I asked my guide if we could try to call in a wolf while my hunting buddy and his guide were trying to harvest their bear. His answer was an emphatic no. When I asked him why, he said because the first thing we'd have to do is shoot a bear off us that aggressively responds to our call. So HE certainly believes you can call in a bear with a predator call.

Thanks for the input.

I'm in Washington state, so spot and stalk works really well on tree farms.

Okie John
Call those suckers with a predator call. They can come in aggressively to the area and will spook in a blink if they get a wiff of scent. They also will stop and really watch the draw or brushy gulch before going into it. They are as good as a coyote in knowing where the sound is. We use electronic calls set about 30-50 yards away.

I have had bobcats come within 10 feet of me while calling coyotes and have seen bears and a mountain lion while cow calling while archery hunting. I definitely carry a pistol but I doubt I could get a shot off if a bear or lion ambushed me from my six. A tree stand would be better as far as safety goes if it's an option.
bear11.jpg
bear22.jpg

Which sounds do you prefer? I'm reading that a fawn in distress is the ticket.

Thanks,

Okie John
What larger/smaller wildlife do you have in your hunting area? Bears are hello on fawns and calves and kill more than coyotes....not wolves. Any deer distress or even just straight up cow calls will work. You need something to grab their quick attention (squeal, etc.) then can tone it down. If you know bears are in the area you don't need a bunch of loud screaming type sounds and they do work.

Okie-I've called in a bit over 60 bears so far, I don't do it near as much as I used to but I still call in a couple on a yearly basis. I wrote an article about it some time ago, if you pm me your email I'll send it to you if I can find it.

In a nut shell....yes you can call bears. I've found them to be mucho easier to get to come to a call in the fall. Reason being, once they hit hyperphagia (basically a stage they hit where they're feeding 20 hours a day getting ready for hibernation) so they're non stop looking for grub.

Will they come to a call in the spring or summer, yes they will but in my locale they don't respond as readily then.

I like to decide ahead before I start to call whether or not I want to take the bear. As most all bears that are coming at you seem to look big....I prefer to call with another person, mainly because I've found that with the amount of volume I need to get them to come I can only last on the call (I only use mouth calls, personal prima dona belief call it) about 45 seconds to a minute at most. I like to set up so that I can see my calling partner that way when I'm about gassed I can give my partner a nod and they can take over. I've found that once the calling stops that the bruins loose interest fairly quickly. Plus if you have a calling partner you can set watching different directions.

My favorite call is made by a company called Crit'R Call, they're an open reed call and I like their biggest call. Though I've called them in with many different calls, even used a peacock call once upon a time. I like it because it's loud and I can make a lot of noise with it!

I like to get within a quarter mile at most and with no big physical barriers between myself and the bear. By that I mean water and such. Once I start calling I go as hard as I can and don't let up!

I've found that 1/3 of the bears won't pay any attention at all, one third will mosey back and forth and generally move my way out of curiousity. Now the last 1/3 will up and come mach 4 with their hair on fire!! They're coming hard to kill and eat period. That's the bruins that are fun to call. Generally large boars. Once they break a point where you wish to take a shot, stop calling and that'll generally get them to slow down and start hunting for you (call source).

I won't use a cub call, as 75% of the times a sow with cubs will put her young up a tree, and then come to investigate. That's also a reason why I don't like "cold calling" (calling without first seeing the bruin), I want to watch them for a bit before I start to call so I can see if it's a sow with cubs or not.

Might be more info than you wished for, but take it for what it's worth and best of luck to you.

Thanks, Dogz. I need a few more days before I can DM but I'll get back to you as fast as I can.

Thanks to everyone who replied. I'm beginning to wonder why I didn't try calling bears a long time ago.

Okie John

What larger/smaller wildlife do you have in your hunting area? Bears are hello on fawns and calves and kill more than coyotes....not wolves. Any deer distress or even just straight up cow calls will work. You need something to grab their quick attention (squeal, etc.) then can tone it down. If you know bears are in the area you don't need a bunch of loud screaming type sounds and they do work.
I'm hunting tree farms and public land in western Washington state. We have plenty of bears, even in areas that people traverse often. Other game animals here include elk and blacktail deer. Oddly enough, we're thin on rabbits and such. But I think a calf or fawn in distress call will do the trick.

Thanks,

Okie John

I have called several over the years and found out one very important thing Have someone watch your back You never know which way a bear will come

In a nut shell....yes you can call bears. I've found them to be mucho easier to get to come to a call in the fall. Reason being, once they hit hyperphagia (basically a stage they hit where they're feeding 20 hours a day getting ready for hibernation) so they're non stop looking for grub.

Will they come to a call in the spring or summer, yes they will but in my locale they don't respond as readily then.

I like to decide ahead before I start to call whether or not I want to take the bear. As most all bears that are coming at you seem to look big....I prefer to call with another person, mainly because I've found that with the amount of volume I need to get them to come I can only last on the call (I only use mouth calls, personal prima dona belief call it) about 45 seconds to a minute at most. I like to set up so that I can see my calling partner that way when I'm about gassed I can give my partner a nod and they can take over. I've found that once the calling stops that the bruins loose interest fairly quickly. Plus if you have a calling partner you can set watching different directions.

My favorite call is made by a company called Crit'R Call, they're an open reed call and I like their biggest call. Though I've called them in with many different calls, even used a peacock call once upon a time. I like it because it's loud and I can make a lot of noise with it!

I like to get within a quarter mile at most and with no big physical barriers between myself and the bear. By that I mean water and such. Once I start calling I go as hard as I can and don't let up!

I've found that 1/3 of the bears won't pay any attention at all, one third will mosey back and forth and generally move my way out of curiousity. Now the last 1/3 will up and come mach 4 with their hair on fire!! They're coming hard to kill and eat period. That's the bruins that are fun to call. Generally large boars. Once they break a point where you wish to take a shot, stop calling and that'll generally get them to slow down and start hunting for you (call source).

I won't use a cub call, as 75% of the times a sow with cubs will put her young up a tree, and then come to investigate. That's also a reason why I don't like "cold calling" (calling without first seeing the bruin), I want to watch them for a bit before I start to call so I can see if it's a sow with cubs or not.

Might be more info than you wished for, but take it for what it's worth and best of luck to you.
This is some good advice right here.
I have found that early spring is hot, they are looking for anything dead to green grass, and they get very hungry once the get rid of the plug.
I've had hot luck right up till they start rubbing
Electronic calls are illegal for hunting black bear in Montana. And I always liked being more mobile.
I the N.W. there are four things that can eat ya!
Be safe