California J19/X7A

Johnny Boy

On my son's first try he drew a junior tag J19 which is also X7A here in California. Season doesn't start until October 7th. We plan to scout at least three times (6 days total) before season starts. Anyone that has hunted the zone willing to provide some pointers of where to focus our scouting. You can DM if you don't feel comfortable putting out information here. Thanks!
1692833901722.png

Cool thing about California is that they pretty much tell you everything you need to know. No internet opinions needed.
I would concentrate your scouting in what's listed here:

That said, I would break up your scouting as a familiarity trip, don't worry about the deer. Think about where you want to camp, the water conditions and the terrain. A hard map of that part of Tahoe helps too.

The second trip is probably best to be closer to the season. Pressure from the archery portion will put the deer further in the harder, thicker terrain, but that usually doesn't bring them down. That would be your best bet to look at what's around where.

Last edited:
Thank you. My son and I scouted over the weekend and saw 3 does in the morning (one with a gps collar) and then later saw a little forky hanging out with a doe. We expected to see more sign but we didn't. I guess on the next outing we'll try the opposite side of the zone. Overall, it was fun and we sort of got the lay of the land.

Thank you. My son and I scouted over the weekend and saw 3 does in the morning (one with a gps collar) and then later saw a little forky hanging out with a doe. We expected to see more sign but we didn't. I guess on the next outing we'll try the opposite side of the zone. Overall, it was fun and we sort of got the lay of the land.
It will all change after archery which is going on now anyways.
Keep in mind that means there is pressure, even if you don't see it. It gets all kind of traffic out there.

Last tip is bigger bucks and higher concentration of deer are high and away from the road. Given the linked I linked you, and that bit of information, that should give you some solid ideas if you have a map.

They will stay high through your hunt, as long as it doesn't snow, in which the winter range is basically by the roads.