California Hunting?

I understand how you feel. I live at the base of the Sierra's in Nevada. I have the best of both world's. I love to back pack up into the IceBerg wilderness and fish for trout during sept and oct have the whole place to myself. My wife and I have a nice spot where on Memorial weekend we camp in our wall tent and never see anyone. We can sit by the campfire in the evenings and glass lone Antelope bucks and nice Mule Deer in the Velvet. Chukar hunt during the day and Mule Deer or coyote hunt in the evenings. The best part is you would think that you were hunting out of season because you never see anyone for the whole week.
I've fly fished for Golden trout in the John Muir wilderness and you can catch them on every drift. For those of you who have never seen a Golden Trout they are incredible.
There are so many small Mt ranges in Central Nevada where you can find huge bucks and never see another soul. Even opening day and be all alone for the whole week. I will tell you that my wife and I feel so close to God when we are out there. When it just you and the wilds and you can hear him wisper to you....no outside distractions, no cell phone service and when on a ridge top you can see 100 miles and there is no sign of any man made structures..............just wilderness in every direction.

Greg

The Independence, Toiyabes, and Monitor ranges come to mind. If you go to the more remote areas in any of the above you can really get away. I love it in Nevada, still like it back home across the border (I grew up in Truckee) but the utter desolation in parts of Nevada is really awe inspiring. Last year in 6 we were parked in a truck at the pinnacle of Miller Mountain from 4 until 9 waiting for the fog and clouds to break. We had to turn around to head down to Owyhee to mail a letter we'd forgotten and as we did the clouds broke to one of the most beautiful views I've ever seen in my life.

Heck, 6 looks more like Maine than Nevada up high in places haha

1379939_10151639466522063_291447564_n.jpg

The weather extremes are awesome too. We got there and it was brisk but not bad for 7500' in October. Snowed on us the next day, we hiked about 10 miles glassing deer that day around a canyon under Winter ridge (within sight of the Idaho border). Hunted hard for 5 more days and skunked on bucks with one exception (brother missed at ~400 yards with his .300) but the country was, is, incredible. Last day there it snowed on us again and a friend drove up from Elko to say "hello" to her great chagrin haha!

1376395_10151671747987091_1596694992_n.jpg

Several years ago I was in Bishop for the trout festival. First time I ever saw a golden trout. I went up to lake you could drive to try and catch some, but there were people everywhere.

It's on my bucket list. Maybe it will be a small trip this summer with the wife to catch a few, take some pictures, and let them go.

I grew up in Bishop! Got my first buck near the base of Mt. Tom. There are still some very nice bucks in the Sierras, West of Bishop. One of my nephews hunts the Buttermilk area, when he gets a tag. But, he scouts and scouts and goes back as far as possible looking for deer. I remember growing up in Bishop 50's-60's when you could pick the deer you wanted to shoot. Now the mountain lions are the only ones hunting successfully !

You mention Golden Trout. Yes, one of the most beautiful trout you can catch. When we were in High School we used to walk into, "Royce" lakes. We used 4lb. line with 1lb leader with grubs. Ahhhhhh, to be young again!!

Well, I don't live anywhere near there anymore. But I will someday return for week or so to fish lake Crowley, eat at convict lodge and fish some high sierra lakes.

Well, I don't live anywhere near there anymore. But I will someday return for week or so to fish lake Crowley, eat at convict lodge and fish some high sierra lakes.

When my boys are older I'll be back up to the Sierra's as well to show them the high country.

I grew up fishing the June Lake Loop. Have photos of my grandmother there with her folks in the 1920's.

I worked my tail off all the way through school to get a job that got me out and about all over California. Used to get to sown about 5 weeks a year in Alpine, Mono and Inyo counties. There's certainly worse places to work in the world. Unfortunately the funding dried up and my career no longer exists. Living in Sonora as long as the pass is open I'm a short drive to all those beautiful places.

I grew up fishing the June Lake Loop. Have photos of my grandmother there with her folks in the 1920's.

I worked my tail off all the way through school to get a job that got me out and about all over California. Used to get to sown about 5 weeks a year in Alpine, Mono and Inyo counties. There's certainly worse places to work in the world. Unfortunately the funding dried up and my career no longer exists. Living in Sonora as long as the pass is open I'm a short drive to all those beautiful places.

Love June Lake and Mammoth,.

If I remember correctly there used to be a late season hunt in 9X for kids. I think is was sometime in December. If they still have that, you dads with young hunters should look into it. My brother and I used to be coyote hunting at that time and came up on various camps with big, big bucks hanging from a tree. If a person thinks there are no more big bucks in California...Visit the base of the Sierra's from north of Bishop to the top of Sherwin grade during the winter time!!!

If I remember correctly there used to be a late season hunt in 9X for kids. I think is was sometime in December. If they still have that, you dads with young hunters should look into it. My brother and I used to be coyote hunting at that time and came up on various camps with big, big bucks hanging from a tree. If a person thinks there are no more big bucks in California...Visit the base of the Sierra's from north of Bishop to the top of Sherwin grade during the winter time!!!

There are several of those hunts in CA. Just very limited draw. But you are right, huge bucks.

DFG added a bunch of youth, woman only and apprentice hunts for new hunters. Great thing about the youth hunts if you get them their license by 12 they are guaranteed max points at 16 upping the odds of getting one of those awesome tags.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.