Caliber size or Velocity and Energy?

Again I'm just looking at energy and velocity. You have the g7 156 Berger in as a g1

View attachment 437985

Here's 200 zero with the g7 in as a g1
AHA, now I see your point; G1 vs. G7 and 100Y vs. 200Y zero are contributing factors to my error. And thanks for pointing that out. When I selected 156, the default was .347, and I did not make a selection about whether it was G1 or G7. However, re-calculating it using G1 vs. G7 revealed my error. So, I stand corrected.

I have been told that my 6.5 PRC is too light for elk and I am sure many of you on here will agree. But I when I look at the ballistics, my 156gr Berger with H1000 have more energy and velocity after 400yds than my buddy's 300wm with 180gr ABs. which is an acceptable elk cartridge. Since hunting bullets are made to expand why is initial bullet size important?

Plenty of guys killing elk with 6.5PRC. It's just fine. Contrary to popular belief elk don't wear body requiring nothing less than a big 30 to kill.

Chose a good bullet, at an acceptable range and put it where it's supposed to go and you be gtg.

Last edited:
Will a 6.5 PRC work? Of course. Will a 300wm kill it deader? Sure. Will a 375 Cheytac kill it the deadest? Nope. Cuz we gots a the 50BMG…

Use a 50 BMG prefeabbly with RAUFOSS ammo within 100 yds if you want to kill It the most deadest of dead. You owe it to the animal to both kill it and quarter it with your cold bore shot.

Anything less is just poor sportsmanship

Last edited:
Who compares one of the BEST BC bullets in its class to a 180 Accubond anyway 🤣 ...Of course the 6.5 outclasses it.

Now be fair and compare this with a real 300 WM bullet...210/215/230 Berger at say 2850 FPS...
I agree 100%. Hand loads in 300wm will out perform a 6.5PRC. I was told the 6.5 PRC was not adequate as an elk round. I was try to illustrate that a good 6.5 PRC hand loads will perform as good as 300wm factory loads. And 300 wby mag will outperform both.

AHA, now I see your point; G1 vs. G7 and 100Y vs. 200Y zero are contributing factors to my error. And thanks for pointing that out. When I selected 156, the default was .347, and I did not make a selection about whether it was G1 or G7. However, re-calculating it using G1 vs. G7 revealed my error. So, I stand corrected.
You do realize Zero Range doesn't factor in to an energy and velocity calculation. It does factor into trajectory however.

I'm this particular scenario the issue here is the 156 Berger vs the 180 accubond. The accubond will penetrate deeper. That being said I personally wouldn't have any issue at all shooting a 156 Berger at an elk at 400 yards. But I've taken a cow at 550 yards with the lowly creedmoor with one 147 eldm. My stepdad also killed one at 478 yards with one shot with same rifle/ load. Just wait for a good broadside shot. Or not. I'm sure that 156 will flatten a bull pretty darn well.

It's the size & depth of the hole you can make in the beast to put it down (trauma) that is related to bullet velocity & construction. Numbers indicate how flat it will fly & how much kinetic energy it will deliver. If a 6.5 CM or 6.5-06 will kill elks at 6.5 PRC will kill elks, possibly at 50-75 yards further away.

Just my thoughts. If I had a big .30 and a 6.5 Prc and both shot with the same accuracy to say 800 yards with the same confidence in both, I'd pick the big .30 for elk. If I shot the 6.5 Prc with better accuracy and confidence over the other I'd pick it for elk.
Didn't have a big .30 cal to pick from this year on my elk hunt but all the confidence in a very accurate 6.5 Prc. with 140gr. VLDH @ 2905 mv. Filled my tag at 737 yards. JMHO

JIMMY

3E92A6E0-020A-4B28-92C7-81ABF2CCE60A.png