Terminal performance..... velocity vs energy vs retained weight

Yeah, that's all I was commenting on. Speed alone has limitations. Caliber, bullet weight, bullet construction, and targeted animals all have to be considered in addition.

The proper balance produces the proper result - pressure relief valve on both sides.

View attachment 104620
Whatever that was didn't travel far. ;)

"Nothing bleeds that much and lives, nothing".

Yeah, that's all I was commenting on. Speed alone has limitations. Caliber, bullet weight, bullet construction, and targeted animals all have to be considered in addition.

The proper balance produces the proper result - pressure relief valve on both sides.

View attachment 104620
Whatever that was didn't travel far. ;)

"Nothing bleeds that much and lives, nothing".

I'm not entirely sure that speed kills. I think it's a combination of speed, energy, and bullet construction. After shooting whitetails with my 6.5 creedmoor and my 7mm rem mag, the deer didnt act any different despite the creeds 300fps slower projectile. I'm sure SD fits into that equation as well.

You are correct, killing effectiveness has many factors, here's an excellent read >>> https://www.ballisticstudies.com/Knowledgebase/Effective+Game+Killing.html

I used Corelokts for many years before my reloading days as they are very forgiving on most of my rifles at the time. As you've seen from previous threads, it will get complicated. I too am a heavy bullet fan and tend to find the best compromise between accuracy and velocity. I use Berger and similar bullets primarily and retained weight is something I do not worry about, as you know they are designed to perform differently but I am very pleased with all the results thus far.

Excellent read and source >>> https://www.ballisticstudies.com/Knowledgebase/Effective+Game+Killing.htmlhttps://www.ballisticstudies.com/Knowledgebase/Effective+Game+Killing.html

Good luck!

With fragmentation , you get lead in the meat

California requires copper and I am good with that

With fragmentation , you get lead in the meat

California requires copper and I am good with that

That's why I left Commifornia in 1990. 45+ years of hunting with lead bullets have not had any lead in the meat or health issues. Life is all about choices, what one does with them is entirely up to the individual. :cool:

Options are great, thanks for providing an alternative. Cheers!

Ed
I had to throw it in, couldn't resist.

You know that we started our bullet based on the performance that we wanted not the lead issue. It was never our motivation. Lead to me is a secondary issue, but an issue none the less.

Steve

I had to throw it in, couldn't resist.

You know that we started our bullet based on the performance that we wanted not the lead issue. It was never our motivation. Lead to me is a secondary issue, but an issue none the less.

Steve

Steve,

I agree, but it is not the gooberment's call to make a decision for us. The freedom of choice should be ours. You and I knows cigarette use kills more people (I know because, I lost a brother from smoking and a sister from second hand smoke) but nobody s banning it. Why? Poli-TICK$!

BTW, my brother knew the consequences of his actions.

Ed

Well I am 100% opposite of the heavy slow moving rainbow bullet. I love the Barnes TTSX's. In 7mm I send the 120 grainers out just over 4000 fps from my Firebird and 3800 from the 7 Rem mag. In the Warbird and 30-378 the 130"s also break 4000. Anything out to over 400 yards I hold dead on. No need for drop tables, though at 500 I do hold very close to the top of the hairline. Meat damage is not a problem because I salt soak the bloodshot meat and eat it. There is no lead poisoning. At the 300 yard mark and beyond the bullets I have caught weighed 95%. Under 100 they were pass throughs.
How 'bout trying Hammer bullets and let us know your results?

I would be interested in trying hammer bullets. I'm not trying to be rude and mean no disrespect and I don't feel like I have had my head down in the sand, but I have not heard of hammer bullets and I've been reloading over 20 years now. Where would I buy them and how much are they?

RockyMtnMT (Steve) on this site or https://hammerbullets.com/
I would be interested in trying hammer bullets. I'm not trying to be rude and mean no disrespect and I don't feel like I have had my head down in the sand, but I have not heard of hammer bullets and I've been reloading over 20 years now. Where would I buy them and how much are they?

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts