Caliber choice on rebarrel 6mm 8tw

CHARLIEDUECE65

I HAVE A REMINGTON 700 SHORT ACTION WITH A .223 BOLT FACE. I HAD PREVIOUSLY PURCHASED A BARREL FOR BUILDING A .243 ON ANOTHER ACTION, BUT NOW I HAVE CHANGED MY MIND AND AM GOING WITH A LONGER BARREL ON IT. THE BARREL I CURRENTLY HAVE IS AN 8 TWIST KRIEGER STRAIGHT TAPER, 3" 1.20 AND THEN TAPER TO .850 AT A 25" FINISHED LENGTH. I WAS INTERESTED IN ADVICE FOR THIS, I WAS THINKING OF A 6X47 REMINGTON, (6X222 REMINGTON MAG). OR SHOULD I SAVE THE BARREL FOR A 6MM .308 BOLT FACE PROJECT? IF I DO THE .223 BOLT FACE I WILL BE USING IT FOR TARGET, VARMIT, AND POSSIBLY DEER NOW THAT MN HAS REDUCED ITS CALIBER FOR HUNTING TO .223. WITH THE 8 TWIST IM SURE I WILL HAVE TO USE HEAVY BULLETS. ANY IDEAS APPRECIATED, THANKS! gun)

First off, I would recommend that you go with the 6-6.5x47 instead of the 22 Mag brass. Everyone is going this way now with the new 6.5x47 brass and just necking down. Factory dies are available.

The 6mmBR really continues to shine with the shorter barrels. 6mmbr.com did a test on that very subject and very little drop in MV and the 6br tops out at no more than 28"

You can get 2850 shooting 105-108s)with a straight BR and over 3000 with one of the improved models (Dasher, BRX or BRDX).

I am getting 105s at 3130 out of my BRDX (ack imp with long neck) with a 28" barrel.

the 8 twist will shoot the 87 gr bullet very well normally also.

Lot of answers to question on the BR calibers ref freebore and ballistics etc at 6mmbr.com.

BH

i guess my original post was a little confusing. My question is, "if i have the 8 twist 6mm barrel and the short action w/.223 bolt, what would my options be". It sounds like i'm being advised to get the .308 bolt face, from the suggested selections.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.