Caliber choice help

I currently have a Remington 700 long action that's currently running as a 257 wby mag. I'm trying to decide what to build it into. I've considered 6.5 prc, 6.5x284, 264 wm, but am open to others. If I stay with a 6.5 I'd like to run Berger 140's 3200 or faster, but plan on eventually running the Berger 155's if they ever come out (which I was told would be towards the end of 2019). Also I want this gun to be kid friendly as both my kids will be going thru hunters ed this spring. Also I'm currently having a 300 rum built so I'll have the 30 caliber covered. Thanks
as far as your kid friendly statement...my daughter shot her first two deer with my 7 mag...she chose it over the 243...she was a small girl to boot...it was a Thompson center encore...and it fit her well...

The gun will definitely have a brake on it for the kids,
kids are tough....my daughter shot deer with 7 mag....at 12 yrs old...I dont think recoil is as big a deal to them as it is to the parents...hell...my son wanted a 280 so I got him one...he used it for his first deer and still hunts with it..he was 12...and a 280 boots ya

I currently have a Remington 700 long action that's currently running as a 257 wby mag. I'm trying to decide what to build it into. I've considered 6.5 prc, 6.5x284, 264 wm, but am open to others. If I stay with a 6.5 I'd like to run Berger 140's 3200 or faster, but plan on eventually running the Berger 155's if they ever come out (which I was told would be towards the end of 2019). Also I want this gun to be kid friendly as both my kids will be going thru hunters ed this spring. Also I'm currently having a 300 rum built so I'll have the 30 caliber covered. Thanks
Unless you want to replace your bolt you're going to need to stick with magnums, belted or otherwise.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with the .264wm. IF you don't mind wildcats and want extreme performance similar to your .257 there's always the 6.5 STW, 6.5-375 Ruger and 6.5LRM.

My 6.5LRM is running 140's at a bit over 3300fps and 130's right at 3400fps. If I were building from scratch I'd probably go with the stright 6.5-375 Ruger.

You'll get a bit better barrel life with the last or with the .264wm but you're not likely to hit 3200fps with the wm without really pushing it hard.

I've been running RL33 in the LRM but I may try RL26 if someone running quickload will tell me I can get away with doing so without pressure problems.

kids are tough....my daughter shot deer with 7 mag....at 12 yrs old...I dont think recoil is as big a deal to them as it is to the parents...hell...my son wanted a 280 so I got him one...he used it for his first deer and still hunts with it..he was 12...and a 280 boots ya
Kids also develop a flinch easily so it's best not to push it.

It's much easier to develop good habits young and keep them for a lifetime than it is to break bad habits and flinching is one of the toughest to break.

264 WM would be the easiest swap and offer good performance. The WM would get you close to the 3200 mark you are wanting. In my opinion if you really want to be 3200+ w/ 140 you are getting into 26 Nosler and 6.5-300 wby territory.
You can easily get there with the 6.5-.375 Ruger and I think you could probably do it with the 6.5-300wm or 6.5-300wby. You can definitely get there with the 6.5STW.

IF you want kid friendly keep the weight up there at 9lbs plus and take a good look at the NWP muzzle brake by Mac's gunworks.

https://www.macsgunworks.com/muzzle-brakes

IF it's legal to hunt with in your state take a look at their suppressors as well if the budget allows.

Kids also develop a flinch easily so it's best not to push it.

It's much easier to develop good habits young and keep them for a lifetime than it is to break bad habits and flinching is one of the toughest to break.
yeah I guess.…..both my older kids had no problem, but I do see your point. I will keep that in mind with my younger ones....

yeah I guess.…..both my older kids had no problem, but I do see your point. I will keep that in mind with my younger ones....
I"m speaking from experience. I was started off way too young with an old steel plate butt 870 12g and 7mm Mag and developed a horrible flinch as a result. Didnt' bother me with lighter/smaller rounds but mentally I was screwed for a long time when it came to shooting anything called a "magnum". It literally took me decades to shake it completely.

What speeds are you getting out of your 7mm08 and what is your barrel length?
I did the ocw test and found a "node" at 44.6 grains of h4350 gave me mv of 2688...the barrel length on the rifle is 22 inches...
I know the mv seems low but if you compare the 162 eldx to the 140 grn nosler accubond, the eldx outruns it at three hundred yards and just maintains out to well past a thousand yards...

I"m speaking from experience. I was started off way too young with an old steel plate butt 870 12g and 7mm Mag and developed a horrible flinch as a result. Didnt' bother me with lighter/smaller rounds but mentally I was screwed for a long time when it came to shooting anything called a "magnum". It literally took me decades to shake it completely.
like I said, I will keep that in mind. I appreciate the warning....my younger boys might just appreciate it too.....lol

like I said, I will keep that in mind. I appreciate the warning....my younger boys might just appreciate it too.....lol
I figured you got it, just letting you know where it comes from. Fortunately I have a lot of experience to share, both good and bad. If in doing so I can help others avoid the same mistakes I'm not to proud to discuss them.

I had clients with me the other day when I drilled a big boar at a little over 700yds running up a waterway with the .260. They were just shocked and amazed and one of them asked, "How on earth can you make a shot like that?", I just looked at him and said, "By missing a whole lot of them and learning why.".

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.