caliber change

handle30

Hey I have a browning A bolt hunter in 243 wssm. Im lookin to get it rebarreled soon and thinking about changing the caliber. My thoughts were to change it to a 25wssm but then again you guys know alot more than me so hopefully some of you can help me out. Thanks alot. Ben

Well alot depends on your choice , what kinda critters do you hunt and at what ranges do yous shoot?
Do you reload any or are you gonna be shooting factroy ammo?
the action will work fine with the 25 WSSM but if your gonna be shoot bigger critters of longer ranges and you reload then you may want to look at the 6.5WSSM wildcat , it offers some pretty good performance with better bullet selection for bigger game or longer ranges.

The current chamber (243WSSM) is a great round capible for killing deer at some pretty long ranges with the heavier bullets. The 257 bore will offer slightly heavier bullets but the bullet selection is limited.

I would definatly have the action worked over and a quality barrel installed , that alone will make the biggest differance in accuracy rather than caliber choice.

The main reason I was thinking of changing the caliber was that they came wih chrome lined bores, and if i had an aftermarket barrel i was worried about throat erosion occuring too soon. My first idea was too leave it in 243wssm but put a 1-8 twist in and shoot the 107mk's. I mainly shoot roo's, out to 400ish but would like to stretch it out a bit further and shoot some long range targets. Thankyou. Ben

Hi Ben neck it to 6.5 then you will have the advantage of all the 6.5 projectiles out there in 6mm and an 8 twist it will also be awsome if you are only shooting roos go with the faster twist 6mm but if you want to get bigger game like piugs step it up a bit. Either should be fine but remember the case capacity is about equil to a 243 or 260 case so if you load them to the same pressure the velocities are similar the advantage with the WSSM's is because they are loaded much hotter and as you know barrel life is the thing that you loose with higher pressure. Their is no free lunch. That being said you will likely not over heat the barrel to much if you limit the use of the rifle for longer shots and have another for the shorter shots in sompthing more suitable for barrel life like a 6mmBR. I use a 6mm BR back to 300 yards no problem the same use as you.

Cheers Bill
Australia

With the velocities that this case is capible of the
107 SMK , 105 A-max , 95 or 105 Berger VLD's will all get you to 1000yds pretty easy. I'm not to sure how big your Roo's are or how tough they are to kill but the 105 A-max will kill smaller deer and Prong horn here in the US out to 500yds.
I'm haviong a 260 built right now and from what several guys that shoot it (and that I respect their judejment) say that it should be an easy 600yd deer gun with the 140gr
A-amx launched at 2800fps.

As for the throat erosion , I don't think that it will be nearly as big of a problem with the 243WSSM as with the 223WSSM. I'd order a quality barrel in 243 with a 1-8 twist , order it with a 3-4 " shank that way after a couple thousand rounds you can set it back and rechamber it.

If i neck it up to 6.5 would that mean i will have to get dies made and a reamer?? I like the idea of the 6.5wssm. What would the ballistics be like for a 6.5wssm im guessing i'd use around the 123-140 grainers??? Thanyou for the replies ben

handle,
I am looking for info on the 6.5 wssm also.
Most I've heard is it gives something like 6.5x284 performance.
I will relay any info back that I find.
Good luck!

handle30
I'm useing a 25 wssm redding S type die with a .296 bushing to size a 6.5 wssm, seating is done with the standard 25 wssm seating die, it requires a little tinkering with to set up but it's doable. I've just started playing with mine and velocity seems to run about 120 fps(2800ish)less than my 6.5-284 with the same bullet, but the barrel is 2" shorter.

[ QUOTE ]
handle,
I am looking for info on the 6.5 wssm also.
Most I've heard is it gives something like 6.5x284 performance.
I will relay any info back that I find.
Good luck!

[/ QUOTE ]
The 243WSSM has just a smidgion more capacity than the 243Win, consequently, you can expect just a little more speed than the 260rem, out of a 6.5wssm at the same pressure, from the same length barrel.

Thankyou for the help. Another question as again you all know more than me what exactly do i tell the gunsmith?? barrel length and all that other fancy stuff. Thanks again for the help.
PS Wild bill where abouts in OZ are you??

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.