First custom barrel and caliber change, advice!

OldManOwen

OK so i'll jump right in and let you know what I have to work with...

Rem 700 Sendero 25/06 I purchased new many years agoi that is still in 100% condition. With my handloads it consistantly shoots .50 - .75 inch groups at 100 yards. It's equiped with a Leupold 4.5X14 VXIII X 50MM and a Harris bipod all of wich was installed the day I brought her home.

Now on to what I would like to do! I would like to find a gunsmith who could ream me a Krieger or similar quality barrel in 7MM Rem SAUM 28" inches long with a contour that would match the existing bull barrel in order to be able to use the same stock if possible. I like the factory stock and unless i'm going to loose out on accuracy I have no problem using it in this project. I was thrilled with the factory accuracy and will be thrilled if the gun comes back in 7MM SAUM and shoots the same group size.

My understanding is that because the rifle started life as a long action I will have no problem seating 180 VLD Bergers way out where they need to be because of the magazine length. Thats a good thing right? I intend for this rifle to be primarily for ringing steel at 800 yards or so and that ever important once a year Elk/Moose hunt! I have the 6.5 Grendel for Coyotes out to 800 Yards and a nice factory Rem 700 in .257 Weatherby for pronghorn and Mulies.

I know I rambled there a bit but i'm very excited about jumping feet first into the "semi custom" bolt world and I need your guys help and input so I do not make a mistake I cannot afford. The only thing I am dead set on is the caliber. It's the best BC you can get thats 100% lethal on Elk/Brown bear and I allready have a 6.5 so 7MM it is. So, where do I start!

I have a Sendero 25-06 as well and it's been a great Sub .5 MOA shooter as well. It's about shot out now. I also have a Sendero 300 RUM.

Tell ya what I'm doing... I just picked up a Vangourd Sub MOA 300 Wby Mag and will be replacibng the barrel with a Broughton 5C. I was going to chamber in 300 WSM, but after learning about nitride treatment which will greatly extend barrel life, I decided to go with a 300-375 Ruger. IMO, a 7-375 Ruger would be a great wildcat, but will kick a little more than the SAUM. If you're considering hunting Brownies, I think a 7 SAUM might be a little light, but that's your call.

I'm eventually going to sell the Senderos and replace them with Vanguards (Howa actions) because I like them a little better than the 700's. The Sub MOA's also have a good aluminum bedding block stock. The Howa long action is about 1/2" shorter than the 700 and a better fit for the SAUM or even 375. Your feed rails might need some working on for the SAUM - not sure on that and something you might ask your smith.

I think your plan is a good one and if your keep the Sendero you'll be happy. Just thought I would throw that at ya. Another thing to consider is you will have to change bolt faces. If you went with a 280-AI there would be no magazine/feed rail issues and you could use the same boltface and ballisitcs are about the same.

FWIW

-Mark

i had a 25-06 rebarreled to 6.5-284 and a 300wnm to a 7mm rem mag. i use krieger. sounds like a good idea to me.

There shouldn't be any problem getting a custom barrel with similar contour to the Sendaro tube.

Only thing I questioned while reading your thread is the Boltface diameter.
Is the SAUM the same head diameter as 30-06?

No the 30/06 parent cartridge is .473 of an inch and the 7mm SAUM is .535 of an inch. I had assumed the smith would be able to take care of that issue with a simple replacement, obviously the parts exist because Remington makes the 700 in just about everything?
I have been searching and the amount of Smiths available is overwhelming. I do have a pretty limited budget but I want the work to be top notch so if I need to save for another month I will. I just want to make sure I do this right and the gun is well put together and accurate.

No the 30/06 parent cartridge is .473 of an inch and the 7mm SAUM is .535 of an inch. I had assumed the smith would be able to take care of that issue with a simple replacement, obviously the parts exist because Remington makes the 700 in just about everything?

It shouldn't be too big of deal. Best thing to do would be talk to your gunsmith.

You should probably get the action skim bedded too.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.