caliber and bullet choice for young hunter

luke

I could use some help. My oldest boy will be going on his first hunt in spring of 2014. It will be a bear hunt. He will only be 9 and he is not that big. I bought him a 243 to get started shooting but when I load bullets heavier than 75gr he doesnt like to shoot. He says they kick to much. The rifle is a savage and easy to rebarrel. I am not against a muzzle break but if I do that should I look at a little bigger caliber. He shot my buddies 6.5 creedmoor that is muzzle broke and he liked that even with 130gr loads. Is there some good bullets for the 243 for bear? Any advice would be appreciated.

Its got to be fun. If he has something he likes to shoot he'll practice. Bears come in lots of sizes, and get hunted all kinds of ways. It looks like you're from Oregon so I think you're like Washington spot and stalk is what you have left. Consider his skills how far would you let him shoot? If a 6mm was what I was going with it would be loaded the Barnes 80gr TSX.

I have thought about the barnes 80gr. The partition never crossed my mind though. I will have to look at both of them again. Any thoughts on a better short action caliber. Or maybe a light wieght 308 bullet. I am in the middle of building a heavy barrel 308 which already has a muzzle break. It should be completed in a month or two. Would this be a better choice to think about. It will have an ar type stock and should fit him a little better but is twice the weight.

You're speaking black bear right? The .243 is plenty when running a good bullet. The 80grain Barnes TTSX or the 85grain TSX would be first on my list. A muzzle brake can be installed for little to no $$$. As said about, it has to be fun for the guy. Whatever you do, keep the recoil down enough as to NOT induce a flinch.

t

Thanks outlaw. I am going to order a new youth stock for the 243 and some barnes bullets. The newer youth stocks have soft but pads where as the one I bought a few years back ( for my neice) has a hard plastic but plate.we will be hunting black bears. I always try to keep it fun for all the kids I take out. That is the key to getting youngsters to enjoy shooting. My son is so excited this hunt in a year is all he talks about. The anticipation is killing him.:)

Both my 6 and 8 year olds are very good shooters. They had a 223 that I shortened for them and both could consistantly roll a pop can at 100-200 yards off my long stoney points. My 8year old can regulary hit my 6" gong at 500yards laying prone. Shooting is not new to him. Just hunting.

Also an update on the thread. I bought a 6.5 creedmoor yesterday for him to start practicing with if he likes it. Seems to be a better selection of bullets. Did get the barnes for the 243 but have not loaded them yet.

I will give the 129 partition a try. I love the 243 but the creedmoor seems like it will fit the bill a little better.

I like the 6.5 creedmore. Load it with 120+ grainers of a tough construction and he'll be good to go. I was originally going to say a .260, but the 6.5 creed will fit the bill for sure.
Like you mentioned earlier, if it recoild too much put a brake on it.

I like the 6mm's as much as the next guy, but I know that if you run in to a big B.C bear you want something in at least 6.5. Not sure how big those Oregon bears get, but I assume similar.

My daughter uses a 243 primarily for hunting and she shoots everything with it. We shoot praire dogs rock chucks coyotes and deer with it. That being siad when i took her bear hunting i had her shoot my 44 lever gun and she absolutely loved it. It does not have a sharp kick at all more of a push I let her practice alot with reduced recoil loads i loaded up. When hammer time came she dropped the hammer and never knew the difference. I think tho u made a excellent choice with the 6.5. Should work good and with the imposed limit on yardage it will work like a champ no doubt... Good luck show us the pictures when u are done the smile the kids have is the best part to me....

I loaded some light loads of 123gr amax's for the creedmoor and took my 6 year old out yesterday and let him shoot it (my oldest had school). Just layed across the bench shooting off sand bags he shot 6 rounds at 5 full pop cans ( I found that the kids really like to see what happens and it never gets old for the) at 100-125 yards. The smile on his face was priceless and the stories only got better when he told his older brother.:D it was a good day

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.