CA Ridgeline & Manners mini-chassis

RS0802

Hello All.

Hoping for a few opinions on the following issue. I purchased a CA Ridgeline in 300 WM. Bedded the rail per Broz's method. Dropped the rifle in a Manners EH1 with mini-chassis. Finally added a CA Slayer brake.
I started load development with 208gr ELDs and 215gr Hybrids over IMR 8133.

95C6P3j.jpg

I've tried everything the long range forums mention but the rifle in the manners stock will not shoot below 1.25 MOA. Frustrated I decided to test the rifle with 215 Hybrid, 80.4gr IMR 8133, Fed215M, and once fired w-w brass. I fired one group with the manners stock and one with the factory stock.

Group 3 - Manners mini-chassis Torqued to 65"lbs and 45"lbs per manners. Edit. I did try several groups with 45"lbs. Same result.
Group 4 - Factory CA Ridgeline stock 35"lbs

cN2PCXi.jpg

The difference is noticeable. The only similarity is shot patterns.

So after pouring over the stocks. I'm not convinced the recoil lug is touching the chassis. If I push the rifle until the recoil lug touches the chassis. It appears the screw holes are slightly off.
How should I go about testing if the recoil lug is touching the chassis?

Last edited:
You should call manners and let them know what is going on and what you think the problem is. They will most likely tell you to send the stock or the whole rifle in.

Or you could send the stock back to manners and let them know. And enjoy good groups with the CA stock haha.

Thanks. I'm going to call Manners on Monday. Was part of the plan all along. They have been overly helpful every time I've called them and I have no doubt they will help.

However, over the weekend 'm trying to determine if they action is making all the appropriate points of contact. I'm not sure the best way to do it.

Bed the recoil lug area. All of my Manners and McMillan stocks are still bedded, even with a mini chassis or pillars.

I know there are numerous methods. Do you bed under the barrel at all? I ask because the factory stock's recoil lug is bedded. There is about one inch of bedding under the barrel.

Well keep us updated. I was thinking of purchasing a manners eh2 with a mini chassis to plug and play with my bergara HMR but am having second thoughts now according to your results.

Well keep us updated. I was thinking of purchasing a manners eh2 with a mini chassis to plug and play with my bergara HMR but am having second thoughts now according to your results.

Manners puts out a good product. Even if his has a problem, it's one in a ton that has problems. So don't worry about getting one.

Manners puts out a good product. Even if his has a problem, it's one in a ton that has problems. So don't worry about getting one.

You are right. This stock is awesome and the ergonomics are amazing. Buy with confidence. Chances are it's my receiver and the recoil lug that are not standard.

Yeah, I know they put out a good product and have amazing customer service. I have a Manners on my mountain gun. But I was referring to the mini chassis not being as accurate as having a bedded stock.

Did you ever get this resolved with Manners? I have a CA Ridgeline and am going to be ordering an EH1 as well and trying to decide on whether to get the chassis or not. Just wondering how this turned out for you?

I did. After taking with the experts. It was apparent my bottom metal was not seated correctly causing the recoil lug to sit slightly forward. I relieved a slight bit of inlet causing the BDL bottom metal to sit square. It now shoot similar groups with some better. Very happy with the service and set up.

Did you ever get this resolved with Manners? I have a CA Ridgeline and am going to be ordering an EH1 as well and trying to decide on whether to get the chassis or not. Just wondering how this turned out for you?

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.