• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

SOLD/EXPIRED buying guns

azleadburner

is there a method to protect a person buying a gun through a forum such as this, the seller will hold the gun untill he gets paid but whats to stop someone from advertising a rifle getting paid and not shipping it. I only ask as im about to enter a transaction and dont want to get left standing there with that stupid look on my face. any suggestions would be great
Fred

If your not comfortable then make sure you use a
Postal Money order and ahve the weapon shipped from FFL to FFL.
I've only ever had one problem and that was with a scope and I contacted the Postal inspector and the whole deal was taken care of in two weeks.
Just make sure you have written documation stating a sale , your payment via Postal money order with a carbon copy that has his name written on it so he'll be the only one that can cash it and when you mail it have a delivery confermation number and let it ride , if he stiffs you then you have evidence of theft.

One way to safeguard yourself would be to check out some of the past posts from a user. If he's sold a few things w/out incident I'd bet your safe. On the other hand, if his first post is trying to sell someting, I'd be a little wary.

Always a Postal Money order This makes it federal.
Get phone number and do a reverse look up.

Postal Order does not make it a Federal case from what I have heard on other forums. It is just a guaranteed check. It is not a guranateed transacton. Keep all emails as proof that there was a contract entered into.

My advice is twofold. As Blaz says -Find the sellers home address and phone number through the internet browsers to confirm that there is a home there whith that person listed. And then decide whether you are willing to drive to the address and get what is rightfully yours by force if necessary. If you are not a violent person, then too bad.

Secondly, verify the FFL of the shipper as best you can. Almost any business will be lisxted with the chamber of commerce or something in the town.

[ QUOTE ]
My advice is twofold. As Blaz says -Find the sellers home address and phone number through the internet browsers to confirm that there is a home there whith that person listed. And then decide whether you are willing to drive to the address and get what is rightfully yours by force if necessary. If you are not a violent person, then too bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's awesome, hillarious and very true! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Money Orders are like certified checks, they only guarantee the money is there, the post office will do nothing to get your goods if you get screwed unless you can prove its "Mail Fraud". Someone has to be advertising thru the mail, in this case it would be Internet Fraud a totally different animal. There are sites to explain about Internet Fraud and what actions can be taken if you get screwed in a transaction.

Collecting the goods, or getting the money back is not easy if a deal goes bad, unless you follow Buffalobob's suggestions.

My suggestion is if you don't feel good about the deal run away!

Frank D

Federal law does not require that an FFL holder has to ship the firearm. It only requires that it be shipped to an FFL holder. Many dealers do not want to get involved in a private transaction.

As for taking something by force, I would suggest using every other available resource first. I would hate to do 20 years for a rifle, and then carry a record that prohibits me from ever owning another one.

You can try Escrow.com.

On the FFL to FFl deal: I've done several transactions and the worst ones have been the ones where I bought from a FFL. Not exactly the same, but still. My FFL, who is a range and doesn't sell, only does the transfers, says he sees a lot of dissapointed faces with guys buying off Gunsamerica, Gunbroker et al.

As for buying from someonw with a low post count, ask if they have references or post other places more frequently. My post count here is low, but I post other places more frequently.

If you think of it as buying the seller, instead of just buying his gun, you'll do yourself favors. If you don't trust the seller, don't buy.

I'm giving away a big secret here, but I generally tell the seller that I have family not too far from where they live and that I'm going to see them in not too long.

I've done some deals with people here on this board, some as a 3rd party and some for myself. Nothing but good news about the guys here. Especially Demarpaint, he bought a stock from a friend of mine. The stock took the slow boat to jersey, and he was very patient. Lesson learned- USPS is slow! slow! SLOW!

That being said, I am willing to drive 2000 miles if required to make sure I'm not getting screwed. Just my stubborn side! I've been known to show up a customers house with a sawzall in hand to cut the electrical service off the side of the house if they don't cut me a check. But only if they refuse to answer my calls and ignore my letters for quite a while. It's a matter of principle.