buy used or new need help

bmeier

I am looking to buy a weatherby accumark in 300 wby and have found a 1996 mfg with a new[/FLOATRIGHT]e kreiger barrel for about $1000 however now I have also found a like new never shot model a year old for $1350.

What should I do?

I am looking to buy a weatherby accumark in 300 wby and have found a 1996 mfg with a new[/FLOATRIGHT]e kreiger barrel for about $1000 however now I have also found a like new never shot model a year old for $1350.

What should I do?

Buy both, ship the old one to me as a gift for being the first to reply.

Offer $900 for the used one as long as the throat looks like new. I have bought one for under $800 but most go in the 800 to $900 range depending on condition.

JMO

Jeff

No other work has been done to this rifle and it has not been shot since the new barrel was installed he is pretty firm in his price find looks to be in great shape

But you might want to inquire as to any other work that may have been done.

Yes indeed.

I have been burned pretty bad buying used, due to tinkering that occurred. Two instances were potentially dangerous, one involving a short throat another improper headspace.

I am a lot more careful now.

No other work has been done to this rifle and it has not been shot since the new barrel was installed he is pretty firm in his price find looks to be in great shape

I am sorry, I miss understood as I thought is was the origional barrel that Kreiger did for the early accumarks. Now I am sceptical, and would want to bore scope it or shoot it to check accuracy first. I am now leaning toward the new rifle.

Jeff

If it were me I would want to know more about how the chamber was cut on the one with the Kreiger. Does it have Weatherby freebore or ?????? Is it a tight neck or standard no turn neck???

If the one with the Kreiger barrel checks out and doesn't have some weird cut chamber I would take my chances with a custom barrel over a factory barrel but I think for safety if nothing else, I would want to know what kind of chamber is has.

Broz, weren't they actually Criterion barrels not Krieger which is kinda a off shoot, no pun intended, of Krieger??? They were kind of the cheaper version.

I just recently sold my first year 300Wby Accumark and it was hands down the best shooting factory rifle I have ever owned. The older models had HS Precision stocks and somewhere along the line they switched to B&C and I rarely see one of the newer B&C stocked Accumarks with the barrel centered in the channel. They are almost always sitting way off to one side or the other. Probably an easy fix but not something you should have to fix when you spend 1500 for a rifle.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.