Buy or build 6mm creedmoor

Sykes

Looking for some input on this. Wanting a 6mm creedmoor for the long shots on coyotes. I have a 22-250 and a 223. Maybe the 22-250 is enough gun for the 500+ yard shots but I have a gun addiction so another one is always an easy option!

Should I A
Buy a factory rifle, leaning towards the Browning hells canyon speed 26" barrel version or Ruger american predator. Both are threaded so I can run my suppresor. The only hang up I'm having with the Browning is I'm an American made guy and it's not made in America. The ruger is made here but I hate the stock

Or B
Rebarrel my savage 10 precision carbine .223. I kind of already started this project but originally was going to build a 6.5 creedmoor so I have some parts already including the correct boltface, magazine and go no go gauges, just need a barrel and the tools to change it.

Thank you in advance for your input

Looking for some input on this. Wanting a 6mm creedmoor for the long shots on coyotes. I have a 22-250 and a 223. Maybe the 22-250 is enough gun for the 500+ yard shots but I have a gun addiction so another one is always an easy option!

Should I A
Buy a factory rifle, leaning towards the Browning hells canyon speed 26" barrel version or Ruger american predator. Both are threaded so I can run my suppresor. The only hang up I'm having with the Browning is I'm an American made guy and it's not made in America. The ruger is made here but I hate the stock

Or B
Rebarrel my savage 10 precision carbine .223. I kind of already started this project but originally was going to build a 6.5 creedmoor so I have some parts already including the correct boltface, magazine and go no go gauges, just need a barrel and the tools to change it.

Thank you in advance for your input
I am going with the Browning Long Range. They were smart enough to put a 7.5 twist barrel on the rifle.
Thanks, Kirk

Option B. You already have the action parts you need. Put the money on a good custom barrel and you will have a tack driver.

Brownings have a heavy trigger pull that cannot really be changed, except for a couple springs from Timney that really don't help much.

An RAP would need work to and you would still have a factory hammer forged barrel that might shoot fairly well or not at all.

I would go with Plan B also. Right now on another site, savageshooters, there are two new 26" 6.5 Creedmoor barrels for sale at a good price. They are both small shank and would fit your Savage nicely. Course if you just want a new rifle then...well you know...go for it!

I'm curious as well.
If you guys were going to build a custom, what barrel would you use and who would build it for you?

A 22-250 doesn't kill coyotes past 400 very well if at all...I've tried lol. I like ur choices of cartridges for coyote hunting. I went with the 6.5 because I could buy a gun with features I wanted, but a 6 will have slight advantage. I would rebarrel your savage with either.

I pushed 130 eldm to 3k with my 6.5. At 2950 their chart competes nicely with a 108 Eldm, but settled on a load at 2850 fps.

I would consider the rar with a stock replacement if your looking for a 'truck gun' to beat around with and bang coyotes.

Hey guys thanks for the input.

I've been wanting to build off my 223 savage for over a year now and for some reason just haven't done it yet.

What's the thoughts on getting either a criterion or shilen from northland shooters supply? Somewhere around a heavy sporter I'm thinking. 24" barrel long enough for 6mm creedmoor?

Hey guys thanks for the input.

I've been wanting to build off my 223 savage for over a year now and for some reason just haven't done it yet.

What's the thoughts on getting either a criterion or shilen from northland shooters supply? Somewhere around a heavy sporter I'm thinking. 24" barrel long enough for 6mm creedmoor?
I bought a 26in criterion from there. No complaints. Very nice shooting rifle. Jim is great to deal with

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts