Button vs cut rifle barrels

A A Ron

I have two Bartlein barrels that are cut rifled. They are my best shooters. I have lots of other production button rifle barrels that are ok, but are about half as consistent and accurate as my Bartleins.

Can a company like Seekins really make a button rifled barrel that would be consistently equal to a cut rifled barrel? I really like the PH 2, but the button rifling has me concerned I might be disappointed. I don't see a lot of F class winners using button rifled barrels. I want .5 moa or better and comparable poi shift from heat, is that realistic with Seekins button rifling? Stress in the metal does a lot of unpredictable things.

I have two Bartlein barrels that are cut rifled. They are my best shooters. I have lots of other production button rifle barrels that are ok, but are about half as consistent and accurate as my Bartleins.

Can a company like Seekins really make a button rifled barrel that would be consistently equal to a cut rifled barrel? I really like the PH 2, but the button rifling has me concerned I might be disappointed. I don't see a lot of F class winners using button rifled barrels. I want .5 moa or better and comparable poi shift from heat, is that realistic with Seekins button rifling? Stress in the metal does a lot of unpredictable things.
I own barrels that are button rifled, cut rifled & cold hammer-forged. They ALL shoot equally well. I am not biased either way. IF I were to choose one that MIGHT be slightly better I MIGHT lean toward the cold hammer-forged....but not hard-core on that. With today's technology & tolerances we're able to hold they're all good. JMO

A A Ron,

It's great to revisit all the opinions regarding which process is capable of making the most accurate barrel. But it's still just opinions.

There are a myriad of variables which come into play with regard to accurate barrels and which process could possibly be the best. The problem is that we can't quantify all these variables accurately enough to make a specific distinction about which is best.

Trying to test each bullet or each type of primer or each powder in which case is nothing short of monumental. Then we have the biggest variable, the shooters themselves and believe me, you're not going to be able to quantify them at all. But we all want to believe that our choice is the very best, so we try doggedly to substantiate it.

Enjoy the arguments and the examples then toddle off to mull through everything you've read and all those opinions only to discover that it's simply opinions, which we are all entitled to.

;)

AA Ron, your thinking is a little bit messed up. I have some button rifle barrels that when their groups start to open up to 1/2", I am looking to put on a new barrel, Multiple barrels like this!

For me, Service after the Sale is a major issue on a custom barrel.

I prefer Brux and Krieger on cut barrels, and I have had great luck with Hart, Shilen, Criterion, Lilja, and X-caliber button rifle barrels

With any barrel maker, a bad one will make it out the door from time to time, how they handle the problem is what separates the barrel makers.

I've owned several button barrels and a few cut rifled barrels from K&P, Bartlein, Brux and Krieger.

My experience has been the cut rifled barrels are easier to find a load for and also tend to shoot multiple bullets/loads better across the board than button barrels do.

I've shot some really really good groups from both button and cut barrels. However, I'd give a slight edge to cut rifled barrels for outright accuracy and consistency.

The only difference I have in choosing between cut or button is if I want an option to flute after chambering / threading.

A A Ron,

It's great to revisit all the opinions regarding which process is capable of making the most accurate barrel. But it's still just opinions.

There are a myriad of variables which come into play with regard to accurate barrels and which process could possibly be the best. The problem is that we can't quantify all these variables accurately enough to make a specific distinction about which is best.

Trying to test each bullet or each type of primer or each powder in which case is nothing short of monumental. Then we have the biggest variable, the shooters themselves and believe me, you're not going to be able to quantify them at all. But we all want to believe that our choice is the very best, so we try doggedly to substantiate it.

Enjoy the arguments and the examples then toddle off to mull through everything you've read and all those opinions only to discover that it's simply opinions, which we are all entitled to.

;)
Well said!