Sporter Barrels vs Heavy Barrels

Montanarifleman, Your a smart feller:) some of the words that you use I haven't a clue as to what they mean unless you insert them like this (___) LOL

Just playin. Do you think It would be possible to just get Two rifles that would fit your scenario and do an actual hands on test . Say shoot a 15 round string out of a fat barrel .308 and 15 rounds out of a skinny barrel .308 . Then use some sort of temperature device to check and see which one cools the fastest . You could even test to see how much longer in reality it takes the fat barrel to reach the same temp as the skinny barrel. Just an Ideah from an ole hill billy :D

BigBuck

Big Buck, Isothermic is a term that backcountry skiers, snowmobilers and such learn in regards to snow pack structure and potential avalanche conditions. most avalanches are the mass slide variety which happens when one layer breaks loose and slides down over another layer. Isothermic snow is a good thing because the layers become fused into one snow pack, reducing the probability of an avalanche :)

I think your idea is a great one, unfortunately I don't have heavy and light barreled rifles of the same cartridge. now if some one want to donate a lightweight 25-06 to the cause, I would most graciously accept it :D

I have shot my 300 WSM Finnlight and 300 RUM Sendero together on occasion and my subjective view was/is the Sendero was easier to keep cool under similar rates of fire and it's a more overbore rifle that the WSM. No stop watches, temp sensors, etc., though, so not very scientific.

I have shot my 300 WSM Finnlight and 300 RUM Sendero together on occasion and my subjective view was/is the Sendero was easier to keep cool under similar rates of fire and it's a more overbore rifle that the WSM. No stop watches, temp sensors, etc., though, so not very scientific.

You were probable determining temp on the outside of the heavy barrel and not the inside. I'd say that if you shot both at the same rate that the RUM would heat up faster on the inside. Ambient temp will most certainly effect results as to how fast the heat dissapates (20 degrees VS 90 degrees).

You were probable determining temp on the outside of the heavy barrel and not the inside. I'd say that if you shot both at the same rate that the RUM would heat up faster on the inside. Ambient temp will most certainly effect results as to how fast the heat dissapates (20 degrees VS 90 degrees).

I would think the RUM would blast the throat with more heat than the WSM but couldn't say how much. I don't think it would be enough to heat the barrel faster because it had twice the mass as the Finnlight and was only burning about 45% more powder. And I almost always let my barrels cool to ambient or near ambient temp between shots That WSM Finnlight would heat up quick, definitely quicker than the RUM Sendero. I'm guessing a lot of the heat of the discharge goes out the muzzle, which might even things out a little between cartridges. Hard to say.

Yes I agree that ambient temp makes a real big difference. I once fired about 50 rounds through the RUM in less than 2 hours and the barrel never got more than slightly warm to the touch. That's about 2 round a minute, and in that cartridge, that's smokin. It was about 30* out and about a 10 mph wind blowing which kept it cool and naturally, I always leave the bolt open. On a warm calm day it takes forever to cool down.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.