Burris XTR rings slipping - help?

I'm using it as a glue...not sure if it bonds to the scope tube I haven't taken any apart yet and I don't have any plans on doing so.

Who knows if it actually works I was just looking for something to provide a little added stick. Some people use rosin powder.

It sounds almost as if your scope tubes are undersized or the rings are oversized. Is there a gap between the top and bottom halves of the rings on each side after being torqued down? If they're touching, that's the problem.

It sounds almost as if your scope tubes are undersized or the rings are oversized. Is there a gap between the top and bottom halves of the rings on each side after being torqued down? If they're touching, that's the problem.

No, they're just not perfectly round.

I had the same problem with my 338RUM and Weaver Grand Slam.

I hadn't heard of using Scotchkote before. I just Googled it and there are many versions from 2 part epoxy too electrical sealer. Which are you using?

TIA

Southpaw

Im trying to think WAY back into the early 90s.Can anyone help me here my memory aint as good as it used to be ? Burris used to make a double front ring , its like a extra ring made with the normal front ring . I had problems with a leupold and a burris scope slipping back with the recoil from my 338 ,that thing kicks like a mule on pure adrenalin and its even magnaported. I tried several different rings and nothing worked but that setup from burris. I ended up mounting a burris 2.5 x 10 x 44 on that gun way back then and its been there ever since ( my alaska gun ) and its never moved. Dont know if you could find 1 at at little stand at a gun show or anything.Sure wish i could remember the name of them.

Ha, I have some XTR 1" rings on my Tikka T3 with a EGW rail and Weaver grand slam scope and they are slipping as well. and its only a 7mm08, so not high recoil either.

I wonder if its something to do with the wider rings spreading the load so not causing enough pressure to hold in place.

Cheers

Grant

My Grand Slam Scope is silver. When it slipped, the rings left skid marks where it contacted the scope. It wasn't bearing on the scope even at all. I'm sure a simple lapping would do wonders for these rings.

I don't shoot the big calibers, but I always line my rings with masking tape to protect the scope from ring marks... but the glue eventually wicks through the paper and really "sticks the scope"... never had a ring mark, so far anyway...

I recheck the screw torque after a few days, as the tape compresses somewhat initially... but after that, the scope really sticks... you have to "pop" the scope out if you remove it later...

I don't necessarily use the same torque specs with the tape... only torque so far, then "feel" for tightness...

Like I said, I don't shoot the bigger calibers, but might be worth a try... at least you won't damage the rings or the scope if it doesn't work for you...

Larry

This thread is fairly old. I ended up lapping the rings and torquing them down to 30 in/lbs. I haven't had any additional problems. In fact, I used that rig successfully last year on a nasty late season elk hunt (long hikes, deep snow, -20 degree weather, 30-40mph wind).

Previous to lapping, I was getting probably 10-20% contact. I lapped them to about 95% and remounted the scope.

The XTR rings look cool and with all the surface contact should work great. Recently however, when it came time to mount another nightforce on my latest rig I didn't mess with the burris XTR's and just went with the nightforce rings.

After you add up the cost of the range time, ammo, troubleshooting, problems, etc., the XTR rings weren't a very good deal compared to just getting the nightforce rings.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.