oponion on burris XTR rings?

bigsal5353

does anyone use the burris xtr rings? what are your thoughts? I had someone tell me in another thread that they were very unhappy with thier quality and that once mounted on bases they did not line up straight... was this just a fluke for him or are they good to use

does anyone use the burris xtr rings? what are your thoughts? I had someone tell me in another thread that they were very unhappy with thier quality and that once mounted on bases they did not line up straight... was this just a fluke for him or are they good to use

anyone can get a bad set of rings, or more likely manage to screw up a set. I use 'em and like 'em.

I didn't like them much when I used them on my 300 WSM. I couldn't get them to grip the scope. I lapped the snot out of them and torqued the screws to 35 in/lbs and still had slippage. I now use them on an Ar-15 without problems.

When I took them off the 300 WSM I switched to lightweight Talleys at 25 in/lbs and haven't had a problem since.

I didn't like them much when I used them on my 300 WSM. I couldn't get them to grip the scope. Ilapped the snot out of them and torqued the screws to 35 in/lbs and still had slippage.

That's odd, is it possible that they were lapped to the point of enlarging the clamping area enough to no longer hold? I'm thinking of the ring "ears" where the screws go in, touching before the rings attain sufficient clamping force. Trying to make as much sense as I can! lol

I use the XTR's on my Lazzeroni Patriot (very similar to 300wsm), 358 STA shooting a 250grn Partition @ nearly 3K, and my 338 RUM throwing the 300smk at over 2700, I've never had a scope slip on these rigs?? I can't imagine them not holding on to a short mag??

There is a real head scratcher there....

To the OP, as stated I use them on 4 rigs (DPMS LR-243 is the 4th), i've had no trouble to date. From my experience with the XTR's I would have no trouble recommending them to another shooter (you :D).

I didn't like them much when I used them on my 300 WSM. I couldn't get them to grip the scope. Ilapped the snot out of them and torqued the screws to 35 in/lbs and still had slippage.

That's odd, is it possible that they were lapped to the point of enlarging the clamping area enough to no longer hold? I'm thinking of the ring "ears" where the screws go in, touching before the rings attain sufficient clamping force. Trying to make as much sense as I can! lol

I use the XTR's on my Lazzeroni Patriot (very similar to 300wsm), 358 STA shooting a 250grn Partition @ nearly 3K, and my 338 RUM throwing the 300smk at over 2700, I've never had a scope slip on these rigs?? I can't imagine them not holding on to a short mag??

There is a real head scratcher there....

To the OP, as stated I use them on 4 rigs (DPMS LR-243 is the 4th), i've had no trouble to date. From my experience with the XTR's I would have no trouble recommending them to another shooter (you :D).

Nope, they slipped from day one. I say lapped the snot out of them because they needed it. Unlapped they were only at about 50% contact. I lapped them to increase to about 85% contact.

At 35 in/lbs they were torqued beyond the point of comfortable with aluminum rings. I did not lap them to the point both halves came together before applying the necessary grip.

Head scratcher for me too, but the new rings fixed the issue. I could have forced them into working, but i figured I'd given them enough chance to work, so I decided to cut sling load and try something new on that rifle.

Last edited:
Dang, I don't blame you for changing then, that's unacceptable, hopefully we can get some of the "seasoned":D guys chiming in on this. I would really like to know if you had an isolated incident or if I need to seriously think about a ring change!! lol

I'm pretty sure i'll be ok.... out of curiousity, do you still have those rings? 1" or 30mm?

thanks for the reply guys.. dont like hearing that they needed lapped to the extent that they did.

whats do you guys think of the burris zee rings... from what I have read, they do not need to be lapped and I will be able to mount them right to my picitanny rail and still be able to use the inserts to fain a few extra moa of adjustment

The Zee's are great, I also have 3-4 sets of those, you're right, they don't need lapping as per the inserts. You can also use the inserts to add MOA as well, there are several people on here that use the zee ring to great success, they are a great product.

Just out of curiousity, what are these going on?

outlaw.. thanks for all the info..

Just bought a DPMS LR308.... it will be my first first long range semi, picking it up tomorrow, and the mark 4 should be at my door within a few weeks. I want to buy the rings and loading compnents ahead of time so when the scope comes in I can get it mounted and start breaking in the barrel.

I WAS going to buy the XTR rings... but after doing a little reading/research I think Im leaning towards the ZEE rings

You will enjoy the AR-10 I know I do... the Zee rings will do everything you want them to, granted they aren't as "tacti-cool" as the XTR's.

Plus you don't have to lap them...

I'm pretty sure i'll be ok.... out of curiousity, do you still have those rings? 1" or 30mm?

They are 1" and I still use them on an AR-15. I used them to mount a 4.5-14 Zeiss Conquest on my 300 WSM.

thanks for the reply guys.. dont like hearing that they needed lapped to the extent that they did.

whats do you guys think of the burris zee rings... from what I have read, they do not need to be lapped and I will be able to mount them right to my picitanny rail and still be able to use the inserts to fain a few extra moa of adjustment

The signature Zee rings are very strong rings. I know of at least one custom builder, Kevin Rayhill of stockade, that prefers them over anything else.

I used them for a couple years on a 6mm Ackley with no issues.

Put them on my F-Class 308 and the rings can't hold a scope without slipping. Sent them back to Burris for a new pair just this week.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.