Burris XTR rings slipping - help?

Discussion in 'Long Range Scopes and Other Optics' started by elkregulator, Sep 27, 2008.

1. elkregulator

elkregulator Well-Known Member

I have a set of six screw Burris XTR xtreme tactical ring on my custom .340 mounting a nightforce 5.5-22x56.

I have the upper ring halves evenly torqued to the recommended setting of 20 in/lbs.

Today while shooting from the bench the scope MOVED 1/8” BACK – actually scratching the scope.

Do you have any recommendations? How high can I torque these rings? Do you think they need to be lapped?

Thanks,

2. gamedog

gamedog Well-Known Member

I'd try lapping the rings.

3. MagMan

MagMan Well-Known Member

Elk, I have been dealing with your same exact issue with a 338 Edge and NSX 5.5-22X. I even went as far as to send my NF back for a check up. I lapped the Burris XTR's to no luck. I explained my issue to Ken @ NF and he said I needed to use their rings. I didn't want to but I purchased the $150 or so rings and remounted my scope. The same thing happened and bullets were moving all over the place.

I know you shouldn't have to lap the NF rings but I did just to see if they were close to lining up. The scope moved again so then I lapped them thoroughly (75-80%) and they seem to be holding again.

I ran into the same problem with a 300 RUM and the Burris rings and my brother had NF rings on a 300 AX that didn't hold and he ended up lapping his to (all of the scopes were big NSX's).

It gets frustrating knowing you have a rifle that shoots well and not being able to put them where they need to be due to things moving.

I know many people have had good luck with the XTR's and even I have but on large caliber gun I'll be putting on the better stuff.

4. Nomosendero

Nomosendero Well-Known Member

I see the cartridges you are using, but is it also because of the weight of the scope?

5. MagMan

MagMan Well-Known Member

I'd say yes, I have a smaller S&B that has held well in the XTR rings with the same rifle.

6. royinidaho

royinidaho Writers Guild

Here's some really bad advice:

On my 338 RUM, maxed out loads in heavy bullets, Burris Sig ring w/plastic inserts, I torqued the ring screws until the grooves on the wrench turned into threads (about a 3/4 twist). This is with a weavr 1" tactical, not nearly as heavy as the NF.

All of this was after I could not get other rings to hold and ruined a decent scope.

The scope has never slipped but the rear windage notches on the rear ring sheared so I went with double dove tail bases. Things are back to normal or better.

Again this is bad advice. I scoff at 20 inch pounds. But I learn the hard way.

7. jmason

jmason Well-Known Member

Wow, It's hard to imagine that with amount of bearing surface on the XTR or Nightforce rings your scope could slip. I Learn more every day, and hopefully some day I'll catch on!

8. MagMan

MagMan Well-Known Member

jmason, once you start lapping the XTR's you soon realize how much area is not actually in contact.

With as many problems as I've had lately I find it hard to believe other people aren't in the same boat.

9. elkregulator

Thanks for the help. Looks like I need to get a lapping kit. I was hoping these rings wouldn't need it.

Thanks again.

10. jmason

jmason Well-Known Member

MM,

I apreciate the post! That's about the only thing I've not had go wrong for me latley. OOPS, shouldn't have said that!!:confused:

11. Forester

Forester Well-Known Member

Got that right...I just put a set of 30mm XTRs on when I put a new scope on a .308 and was amazed at just how little would have been touching the scope if I had not lapped them. I lapped them to about 70% contact and torqued them to 30in/lbs. I would torque them more if I was not scared of stripping the aluminum rings out.

12. elkregulator

Now, after scratching my nightforce and needing to buy a lapping kit just for these rings-
    -- They don’t seem to be a very good value.--
    Do the nightforce, badger, or seekins rings need to be lapped like this? I know it is good practice, but do they all have this problem? The instructions for these rings don’t say anything about lapping.

13. MagMan

MagMan Well-Known Member

They probably say not to but I'll never install any rings without a good lapping and a dose of Scotchkote.

14. elkregulator

Is the Scotchkote for just ring corrosion protection after lapping or does it also bond to the scope?