Burris Signature Ring Question

royinidaho

Scope moving post brake installation. Reputable fellows recommended Burris Signature rings.

Picked up a set of High Sigs this evening. Was quite apprehensive about the "plastic" inserts. This is my first experience outside of the Redfield/Leupold scope mounting world.

Also what's the deal with offset inserts. Burris says ya don't need the 20 moa base???

Sorry to be a bother but the learning curve is a bit steep when one jumps into the medium bore world and is pushing the envelope a bit.

Thanks.

I will offer what I can Roy.
The plastic inserts are designed to float if you will to eliminate binding of scope tubes causing possible damage and also eliminate the need to lap rings. They grip very good too!
The no need for the 20MOA base is due to being able to put inserts in the rings to acheive slope in your scope. The inserts are available in different offsets from .005 to .020 for different amounts of moa gain. Someone posted a good formula on here about it a while back but I don't remember who. The rings are very nice IMO!
Hope this helps a bit!

I have used these rings for years and I love them. They grip like glue and never any rings marks because the rings will move to account for ring/base/action misalignment. Never lap your rings again.

Make sure you take a cleaner and remove all the packing grease on the inserts and rings. I use spray brake cleaner. 30 sec job. When tightening the rings, I like to go quite firm. The hardware they use today is absolutely top drawer. I have tightened rings so tight that the wrenches break when trying to take them apart. That's tactical tight for sure... Don't go that he man.

To use the offsets, with your best load, sight in at 100yds. Turn your scope full down and see how much elevation that takes. Let's say you have 20 min of scope adjustment until it bottoms out. Now you can use one 20 thou shim or two 10 thou shims (prefered) and offset the scope.

The scope will rezero very close to the bottom adjustment. For most standard length actions, one thou of scope movement equals 1" at 100yds.

This then allows the full elevation range to be used for LR come ups. Slick indeed. you can also account for windage by rotating the rings to 'push' the bell in either direction.

So with the correct amount of shims and a bit of fiddlying, you can center your windage and increase your elevation adjustments. Try doing that with a solid base...

Jerry

I have used them on a smaller caliber rifle (22-250) and they work really well. They didn't slip on this rifle, but then again the recoil wasn't bad at all.

One thing I'll add that I didn't like was the difficulty with adjustng the position of the scope while trying to mount it. The inserts sort of clip on to the scope when you push it into the rings. This makes it impossible to slide the scope fore and aft to position it for eye relief. It also makes it impossible to turn the scope to position the reticle properly. Each time you want to make an adjustment, you have to pull it out of the rings, move the inserts, then place back in the rings and hope you got it right. Once you get it right though, they will hold. This was the main reason I quit using them. Too much hassle when Leupold rings work just as well. However, they do reduces the risk of marking the scope, if you're worried about that.

[ QUOTE ]

you can also account for windage by rotating the rings to 'push' the bell in either direction.

So with the correct amount of shims and a bit of fiddlying, you can center your windage and increase your elevation adjustments. Try doing that with a solid base...

Jerry

[/ QUOTE ]

Whoa, a quantum leap beyond my ol' knoggen!

Do you mean that with the knobs I set the reticle in the center for windage? Then with my best load, at the bench, I fiddle with the inserts and shift one end of the scope, I suppose the front end, to center the group on zero horizonal?

Also, what's the best way to get the metal part of the ring on the dove tail end perpendicular to the bore? By eye or what size of a rod? Or what?

I'm getting way beyond anywhere I ever thought I'd be. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

craig, to adjust location or rotation of the scope while in the rings/inserts, just loosen the rings more. It will never hinder movement once loosened enough. simple fix to your concerns.

Roy, Yes, you can do that if you wish. Personally, I find most actions and scopes allow for the windage to be centered enough that you still have full elevation travel without any issues. I focus on getting as much elevation I can.

I don't line up anything because I don't like the turn in type rings. There is just too much to go loose over time. I have one set of Leupold bases with the screw adjust windage and turn in front.

You run the risk of the rear screws coming loose destroying your windage. You run the risk that the front ring wears over time and develops some slop. There is already too much slop due to the fact that there is clearance to allow them to turn. Sorry, I don't like depending on my scope body to hold the rings in alignment and in some cases, in place.

I use the Zee rings for Weaver bases (same as picantinny base). Best part. You can now remove the scope with rings on and replace them and they will return to POI. This is the only ring that will do it consistently.

Why other rings, custom and tactical may not? Simple. These rings allow a scope to be bent during install. That springs the scope and returning to the same amount of tension during reinstall is slim.

I have seen many of these systems and have never found one to return to POI (same bullet hole, not a reasonable group). In fact, the very best gunsmiths doing this stuff only ensure same 'impact' area which is usually 1 to 2 MOA from orig POI. Good enough for big game but not so for precision use.

yep, I am sure many with the new tactical rings will chime in that their returns to zero, and theirs just might do that. however, test it. Take a shot, remove and reinstall, where does that next bullet go. Same hole or some place near by? Repeat test a few more times. Group larger then normal?

Repeat test at further ranges. you might not like the results, torque wrench or no torque wrench.

Jerry

I had a set of these on a rifle I once owned , the new 4 screw design ring as well. I tried everything under the sun to get them not to slip but to no avail. They were mounted on a 300 win mag. Good luck.

[ QUOTE ]
Scope moving post brake installation. Reputable fellows recommended Burris Signature rings.

Picked up a set of High Sigs this evening. Was quite apprehensive about the "plastic" inserts. This is my first experience outside of the Redfield/Leupold scope mounting world.

Also what's the deal with offset inserts. Burris says ya don't need the 20 moa base???

Sorry to be a bother but the learning curve is a bit steep when one jumps into the medium bore world and is pushing the envelope a bit.

Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.