Ken Farrel Bases and Burris Signature Zee Rings

Eaglet

Gentlemen,
I bought "Ken Farrel Base" and "Burris Signature Zee Rings" to go on my Remington Sendero SF II. Width wise they seem pretty good as photo below shows,

zee_1.jpg

Now, on picture below shows that the bolt that goes through the rings that locks them on the base has a big gap. Will this work? If the the rifle has a muzzle brake which direction do you get rid of the gap or push the ring? if no muzzle brake, would that take a different set up? Any help will be appreciated. Thanks!

zee_2.jpg

I always push the rings forward toward the muzzle, muzzlebrake or not.
I use the same rings you have on 4 different rifle and haven't experienced any problems.

Wayne aka WAMBO

Yep, always forward. Gotta remember its the inerta of the scope youre counteracting, and its always going to be on top of a rifle thats going backward... although... I shot a carbon 15 the other day, and I swear it pulled forward... but I digress.

I've got the same setup on a 300 win mag and have not had any problems. I think by now you know to puch them forward. My only gripe with Z rings are I wish they came with hex instead of slotted bolts.
farrelandburris.jpg

(hmmm... a simple trip to the hardware store).

I've also got a pair of Mk4's that are much stronger, but are like boat anchors in comarison; I opted not to put them on my carry rifle because of the extra weight.
mark4.jpg

Thanks guys, pushing forward towards the muzzle was my first thought, but then I remembered that with a muzzle brake there is a thrust in oposite direction and maybe because of that we would push one ring forward towards the muzzle and the other one towards the rear to compensate for this bi-directional recoil. Is this thinking kind of messed up?
Thanks again!

Yep that is normal when mounting Weaver style bases to Picatinny rails the cross slots are bigger , thats why alot of Picatinny rings won't fit on weaver rails
that is a great low cost setup you have though.

The one ring forward, one ring back thing comes from air rifles... speciffically the bigger spring piston guns. They are one of the few guns that actually, honestly do recoil in both directions.

JDJones,
Thanks, I'm sure I had read that some place but it hadn't registered untill now.

Abinoc,

[ QUOTE ]
The one ring forward, one ring back thing comes from air rifles...

[/ QUOTE ]

That's good to know, I honestly did not know that!

Thank you all again for the info.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.