burning exposed lead tip?

Konrad

Hi Folks,

I just received the latest issue of an otherwise reputable magazine (at least I thought they were reputable) and an article there said something like…at modern magnum velocities an exposed lead tip (such as the Sierra Game King) will burn off!!!

I am now wondering at what temperature/velocity will this be a true statement or is this fellow full of … well, you get the idea.

Thanks,
Konrad

Let me know what Mag that is so I can drop my subscription if I do have one . Whomever wrote that article is so full of horse dung you could throw a seed at him and it would grow. Total BS

Lead melts at 621F....

I was shocked.
Guns and Ammo November 2013.
I have enormous respect for Craig Boddington but the statement, "At modern velocities an exposed lead tip will usually burn off…" in his article "Deer Bullets 101" really surprised me.

While I am no aeronautical engineer and don't really know the amount of heat generated but bullets traveling at 4000+ fps (which few modern hunting rifles attain), it would stand to reason that I would have read about the issue and it would have been used as an advertising ploy years ago.

I was truly surprised.

And I Spose he thinks Plastic tip bullets won't melt?

While I have no scientific evidence to back anything up, I'd have to agree. Full of horse dung.

Thats a fair statement but....

The frictional coefficient of the atmosphere acting on an airframe (or pill) traveling at that speed isn't instantenous heating. Takes a while to heat to that temperature. Even a magnum round travelling a protracted distance like say 2,000 yards, travels that distance in seconds, not nearly long enough for the friction of the atmosphere to heat a lead tip to melting point plus.......... the pill is slowing down from the frictional resistance.

I'm no engineer but the article is phooooey.

The airframe is maintaining speed and frictional heating because it's powered. A pill isn't.

Now, if someone invented a self powered pill, that would totally change the dynamics of long range shooting.

Imagine, a long range rifle with no recoil whatsoever capable of accurate shot placement only limited by optics or fuel capacity. Wanna shoot 3 miles, no issue. 5 miles, no issue except maybe the tip melting.................:)

Ain't gonna happen in our lifetimes and if it does, normal folks won't be able to afford it.

I'd say the pill would be warmer than ambient but then only the intended target (if animal) would 'feel' the heat........:D

Just threw that out, I have no idea how long at speed it would take to get to that temp or even what temp a bullet hits from friction in the barrel. I did "I think" read an article about berger bullets and the need to thicken the jackets so the lead would not liquefy/melt on some of their bullets.
Maybe some engineering types can fill us in.

I submitted a formal inquiry to Sierra to which I am sure they will get a good laugh.
As soon as I get a reply I will be sure to post it here.

The Game King projectiles may not be the newest or the most sexy or the most techy projectile on the market today but they sure seem to fly well...from all of my rifles. I have grave reservations about someone telling me the whole assembly is not arriving as scheduled on target.
They just fly too darned well.

Thats all I seat btw. SGK's and SMK's in long guns and Sportsmasters in handgun calibers, other than 223 which is Hornady 22 caliber V-Max pills.

I will admit the meplat on SGK's is touchy when seating, more touchy than a comparable plastic tipped pill such as a Hornady V-Max, why I VLD my case mouths and seat with a front load RCBS Micrometer seater.

Same applies for handling. I like to relegate the SGK's in MTM designated caliber cases with a sheet of sponge foam in the top to cushion the soft meplat.

Touchy, yes.

Melty, I don't think so but we will await your reply from Sierra.

Do any of you cast your own bullets? If you do you'll realize how much of a heat sink lead is and why anyone who would think that the bullet tips melt from friction in the second or so it'll take them to get to a target needs an idiot card air-nailed to their forehead.:D
I realize there may be some abrasive erosion, but unless you are shooting through a duststorm or sandstorm I doubt you'd actually see enough erosion for it to be noticeable.

That article should be in the Humor section of this site. It would be good for lots of laughs.

J E CUSTOM

You wouldnt by chance have a link to said article would ya?

Id like to read it, then send a reply to G&A.

Many of the polymer tip bullets use acetal (POM) resin. Approximate melt point is 340F. Little lower than lead. I call Horsehockey (credit to LRH Woods).

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.