Bunny Whacking with a Tikka T3 222Rem..

robbobsam

Took another fox on Friday night with the Tikka .222Rem whilst out with a mate. I wasn't happy with the Zero though for the longer range shots because the rifle was zero'd at 100 which gave me a drop of over 3 inches at 200yds.

I checked out exbal this morning to find the point blank range for 1.5", Exbal suggested 161yds was the best I could get with this rifle/ammo combination, so I set off down the farm to get the zero set up at 160yds.

IMG_03331.jpg

I fired 3 warm up shots then aimed 1 shot at a clean target to find where the POI was. I altered the turrets to compensate for the error, placed a fresh target up at 160yds and fired 6 shots at the target.

IMG_1414.jpg

The group above is a 6 shot group at 160yds which equates to .390moa which I thought was amazing for a little factory Tikka T3. The rifle is a totally factory rifle without any custom mods what so ever, I have spent many hours neck turning, batching and preping the cases so I have put some hours in developing the load, but it just goes to show what can be achieved with a factory stick and a little perseverance.

Please forgive the large Diamond target, I am using a 3-12x50 Zeiss Duralyt scope so I need a biggish target at 160yds to aim at.

LOAD DATA.
Rem Cases
Rem 7.5 Primers
50 grain Sierra Varminter Bullets
19.8 grains Viht 120
Seated Base to Ogive 1.767" (100 thou jump)
3050fps
1033ft/lb @ muzzle.
ES over the 6 shots was 22fps.

Last edited by a moderator:
that second bunny was tough! looked like you took him pretty well on the spine and he still managed to flip about like that. Maybe you need to step up to a magnum case... dangerous bunnies. Good shootin, both film and bullets.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.