Bullett weight ??????

CAR-VER

My new Remington Long Range Tactical in 300 Win Mag has a 1 in 10 twist . What weight bullet should it do best with ? I would like to shoot 165/168 for 300 to 600 yard whitetails , but wonder if I should start with the 180's for my initial load testing .
THANKS
PHILLIP

168gr Barnes TSX is a great 6oo yard round for dear or elk. For long range, I would just jump up to the 210gr Bergers. I would think you could get 2900fps with those, but don't know your barrel length.

I'm shooting a 300 WSM and soon to be shooting a 300 RUM, so I have been looking at the bullet selection out there and there is a good bit to choose from.

If you have the time and motivation, I would recomend trying a variety of bullets and see which shoots the best out of your rifle. My favorites for short to mid range shooting would be with monometals or bonded bullets Like the E-Tips, TTSX's, AB's, etc.

If I were to choose between the Bergers, I would start with the 210 and 190 and see which shot the best. If the same, I would probably go with the 210's because they have a higher BC. They will also be slower with more mass which helps to mitigate the fact that they are a highly frangible bullet and are likely to retain more mass while penetratiing. I would tend to favor the Berger 190 over the 185 because it has a slightly more efficient BC than the 185 and once again a little more mas.

JLK also make some VLDs similar to the Bergers.

Just my $.02

-MR

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.