Bullets-Your Not Going To Believe What I Did!

Seem like nearly everyone on on the Grendel forum is in love with IMR 8208, but I've had my best groups, speed, SD and ES with H335. In my area it is carried by a lot of stores so it works and it's available!

Ive used IMR 8208 during this experiment, this has been the first loads that had the speed I wanted with great SD and ES. It took one whole pound of powder to do it. While most of my H335 loads have single digit SD/ES.

I know that sounds a bit backwards to not use my optimal powder but I have a bunch of the 8208 so I figured to burn some of it up. Glad I did...now I have a use for the powder.

Well I finally got the load where I wanted it. I have struggled with IMR 8208 but I kept trying. I found a load that hit 2600fps SD of 9 and ES of 27.

Here a 5 shot group (9 o'clock on the target). Oh and this was shot at 200yds. Remember this is my home drilled bullets. I ended up taking the bullets down to 110.0 gr for my experiment.

20190126_173812.jpg

This is with an AR-15 with a 20" 5R barrel. We had a gusty wind at near 90* that running 10 to 15mph. The lower group is the same rifle with 123 Hornady bullets. I think if the wind was not gusting the groups might have been a little better.

Next step is to put one into a hog. I have a invite to hunt hogs during the night this weekend. So with a bit of luck I will get a shot at putting bullet on a bone!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.